Next Droid 2 Update

OP
R
Reaction score
The Droid 2 will see Gingerbread and I would wager Honeycomb.

FYI, did you know that when 2.2 was first released the first phone to get the OTA was the original Droid. The X didn't get it until a couple months later.

I've seen the original Droid get 3 "major" updates in about 8 months time. I also believe that the original Droid will get Gingerbread. If you don't that's up to you. My experience with Motorola tells me differently. D2 will still get updates.

I was just saying that it would be a disaster on motorola's end to cut support for the original Droid 2 after a little over two months, not that I actually believed that they would cut off support. I do think that the Droid 2 will see gingerbread and maybe Honeycomb. But I think there will most likely be a maintenance update before Gingerbread.

miketoasty

Reaction score
In my opinion, I think it will be a long time (if ever) before we get updates for our phones. I don't see a 2.3 in the future. Motorola doesn't make this phone anymore and they are more worried about the bionic,xoom,atrix,dx2,etc.... than our phone.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

In my opinion, I think it will be a long time (if ever) before we get updates for our phones. I don't see a 2.3 in the future. Motorola doesn't make this phone anymore and they are more worried about the bionic,xoom,atrix,dx2,etc.... than our phone.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

Do you know how disastrous that would be if Motorola were to cut off update support after a mere 2 and a half months on the market for the Droid 2? It came out August 12th, the last update was October 28th.

Customer loyalty would be non existent at that point, for me at the very least.

FYI, did you know that when 2.2 was first released the first phone to get the OTA was the original Droid. The X didn't get it until a couple months later.

I've seen the original Droid get 3 "major" updates in about 8 months time. I also believe that the original Droid will get Gingerbread. If you don't that's up to you. My experience with Motorola tells me differently. D2 will still get updates.

I really doubt this mainly for the fact that Motorola is a much bigger player in the Android game now. Back when the Droid came out that was their only phone they had to worry about. Now with the Atrix and Xoom and Droid2 and X they have a lot more on their plate which makes me think that we will be pushed to the back especially with Atrix coming out next month.

I really do hope this isn't true but have seen nothing to dispute that it is not.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

I was just saying that it would be a disaster on motorola's end to cut support for the original Droid 2 after a little over two months, not that I actually believed that they would cut off support. I do think that the Droid 2 will see gingerbread and maybe Honeycomb. But I think there will most likely be a maintenance update before Gingerbread.

I know that. I quoted you because I supported your position.

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys! I suppose I should have tried the facebook app first but since I use the browser and not the app I didn't know it was responsible for sync contacts and adding the account to the accounts screen in contacts. Sweet!
So quick question, where's the official thread for liberty if I want to offer a suggestion or two. I love the rom thus far but have noticed a few small glitches with add-ons. Otherwise seems rock solid tho. Btw, anyone who wants to flash roms, as long as you do a backup through Droid bootstrapper (app in market), you will be able to restore back to stock rom with all apps/settings/contacts/txts ect. So now I can use recovery to get back anything I didn't save yet. (Bootstrapper app is all you need from backup, data wipe, install rom, backing up new rom after installing apps and setting it up, and of course recovering back to any backup.)
To stability, Liberty, and the persuit of a faster droid! :)

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

You said that a Droid 2 bootstrap recovery app can make a backup that will backup literally everything on your phone? Are you positive it saves texts? What about homescreen configurations?

OP
R
Reaction score
I added a video regarding the 3G hangup issue. After I took the video, my signal went up to 3 bars yet i was still unable to receive any data whatsoever. I had to try to turn on airplane mode, about 15 times, and wait two minutes before airplane mode activated itself. Then I deactivated airplane mode and I got 3G signal back with 2 bars and I was able to receive data.

OP
R
Reaction score
I guess I was wrong. It's been two weeks and 3 days now. Motorola has still not posted an update for the Droid 2 since October 28th, despite the numerous bugs that still exist.

DC 1127

Reaction score
I really do hope that there will be an update for droid 2 soon. There are sometimes when ill have all of these problems at once and i feel like smashing my phone then there are other times when my phone runs perfectly. Its enough to piss you off and to start thinking about htc as your next phone which is what im thinking.

OP
R
Reaction score
I really do hope that there will be an update for droid 2 soon. There are sometimes when ill have all of these problems at once and i feel like smashing my phone then there are other times when my phone runs perfectly. Its enough to piss you off and to start thinking about htc as your next phone which is what im thinking.

Htc will probably be my next phone as well, but that's a long time from now. My contract isn't up until summer 2012. Does anyone know if the gingerbread leak fixed the issue where the droid 2 improperly backed up text messages ( wrong time stamps, 50 sent texts bunched together, 50 received texts bunched together, some messages not backed up at all) ?

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

DC 1127

Reaction score
Hopefully my contract will be up by the end of the year. I've heard good things about the thunderbolt.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums