Newest Android Distribution Chart from Google Shows Spike in Jelly Bean & More

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
android-distribution-chart.png

Google's devs just shared the latest Android distribution chart showing the adoption rate of the various versions of the Android OS. Predictably, Gingerbread is still in the lead by a fairly large margin, and Ice Cream Sandwich is in second place. What is really interesting is that there has been a large spike in Jelly Bean growth, which could signal the start of less fragmentation in the future.

The stats indicate that Gingerbread is sitting at 50.8% of the market, while ICS eked up a minuscule 2% to total of 27.5%. The interesting trend is that Jelly Bean is now up to 6.7%, which is double the amount of the last distribution chart. It probably shouldn't be too much of a surprise considering all of the nexus devices that were either released with or recently upgraded to Jelly Bean. Regardless, it's great to see things moving in a forward direction, and especially how quickly Jelly Bean is growing. You can see more charts and statistics at the source link below. Can you believe there are still over 10% of devices out there which still have Froyo?

Source: Android Developers

katahdin

Reaction score
Possible dumb question dept: Where does i go to get info on how to update teh o/s for my original Motorola Droid ? Thanks

Krennel

Reaction score
Possible dumb question dept: Where does i go to get info on how to update teh o/s for my original Motorola Droid ? Thanks

Well if you you want to update the stock o/s for your OG Droid you just have to go to phone info and then system updates. If you want to root it and install custom firmware, then XDA is the resource you want to use.

More on topic, it's sad that so many devices are running Gingerbread over a year after ICS launched. And I'm sure the Jelly Bean number will spike hugely when they finally roll it out on all of the S3's that are out there.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
More on topic, it's sad that so many devices are running Gingerbread over a year after ICS launched. And I'm sure the Jelly Bean number will spike hugely when they finally roll it out on all of the S3's that are out there.

It's not that surprising when you think about it. Pretty much any phone that did not come with a dual core CPU and at least 1GB of RAM was left behind. Which pretty much alienates any phone not released a year ago.