Newbie with one question

LarryE1946

Reaction score
Just started using the Motorola Droid X and have a question. When using the phone and you have to listen and then enter something on the dialer, is there any way to delay the darkening of the dialer? I've had to re-enter and re-enter numbers because the dialer has darkened and it doesn't respond quickly enough. I hope I've explained that properly. After only a few hours, I love the phone.

If you need more explanation, please let me know and I"ll be more than happy to try to explain it differently.

Have a great evening.

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I think you are talking about the screen timeout, which can be changed in settings, display, screen timeout.

Let me know if that solved your problem.

OP
L

LarryE1946

Reaction score
Thank you very much for the quick reply, but I don't think that is it. The screen time-out is set for 1 minute and the dialer screen goes dark after only after a few seconds. Ok, maybe if I explain it a little differently.

You know when you have to call to activate a credit card or something like that where you are prompted by a recording to enter different information? Well, when I put the phone to my ear to hear the voice prompts, the screen goes dark and when I bring it down to enter numbers on the dialer, it's dark and I have to wait for it to like wake up before I can tap a number. By the time I tap the number, the voice prompt is already telling me it's not a valid entry and I have to try it again. The phone just is taking too long to wake up. Maybe I should try just putting it on Speakerphone, and not put it up to my ear? It seems like that's putting it to sleep too quickly.

Gosh I hope you understood that. :icon_eek:

Lex_Luthor

Reaction score
That made perfect sense and that is a feature the phone has so when you bring the phone up to your face, you dont accidentally press a button with your face like the end call button. It does take a while to 'wake up' when you bring it back down but i have not had it happen to me for as long as you explained. As for that i guess your best bet is to use the phone on speaker for calls like those. i do that way because i dont like bringing the phone up and down again and again

OP
L

LarryE1946

Reaction score
Ah, ok, I forgot about that feature. Thank you very much for reminding me about it, and yes, it does make sense now. Your suggestion to just put the phone on speaker is of the best way to do it.

Thank you very much for the quick reply and the solution.

Have a great evening.

ZeRo1NF

Reaction score
I had that same exact problem until i figured out the whole speaker phone thing for those types of call. However if you really want to wake your phone up right away, you can quick press the power button located on top of your phone. Be careful though because you can set that function to end the call if you press that button once. Make sure you disable that on call settings.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

OP
L

LarryE1946

Reaction score
Thanks ZeRo1NF for confirming the problem and the solution. But as far as pressing the Power Button to wake the phone quickly, I think I'll pass on that suggestion. Be my luck to disconnect the call completely and then have to start the process all over again. :angry:

OP
L

LarryE1946

Reaction score
Thanks scf, but I think I'll just stick with the speaker for those instances where I have to listen for a prompt and then tap some numbers.

252chevyboyz

Silver Member
Reaction score
If you could find a way to toggle the proximity sensor you might could keep the screen from blacking out but I don't know if this even possible tho. Just thought i might add that little bit haha

OP
L

LarryE1946

Reaction score
I do have another question though

I have my contacts sync'd with my Gmail contacts which were brought in from my iPhone. There's all different kinds of formatting of the numbers. For example some are formatted with the area code in ( ) some have - between the numbers and some have the number 1 in front of the area code. Should I go through and re-format them all and if I do, what is the correct format for the Droid X? I tried to find the info in the Droid X User manual I downloaded, but couldn't find anything.

Also, in Gmail, I have the contacts sorted by Last Name/First Name. Is there any way to get them sync'd with the Droid X that way too?

And, I'm still having a problem getting the Droid X to connect to my Netgear WNDR3700 wireless router. I've done some searching and I see a lot of people are having the same problem. But, there are some who don't have any problem. What I've tried so far is WAP2(tkip), no security, reset the modem and router and nothing seems to work. It sees the SSID and says the connection is excellent (I'm on a 50Mbps tier) but all it does is say "Scanning/Connecting/Disconnected and just keeps on repeating over and over. And I'm sitting right in front of the router. Anyone have any suggestions?