Newbie...Please help me sync with PC?

dreemesicle

Reaction score
Does the Droid come w/software to sync w/my PC?
Okay, I'm VERY new to the Smartphones and have no clue how anything works (My Droid comes tomorrow)
icon_%20banana.gif
With that being said, I'm confused as to how the sync works...I have a Palm TX and the Palm Desktop software came with it to install on my computer. That way, I can enter info on my computer and just Hot Sync to my Palm (easier than entering on the tiny Palm screen). Does the Droid come with software so I can do this? And if so, how to I find it?
Thanks so much! Have a terrific evening!

summerfieldjason

Reaction score
I was a palm user before. Droid works off the google network. The easiest way I found was to set up a free gmail account. Make sure you set up a google Calendar also. You will then need to download a software called companionlink. It costs money but it is really the only way to get all your contacts to your gmail account. The droid automatically syncs with your google account. Gmail calendar does have a free sync program that you can install on your pc but it doesn't sync contacts as well.

rosedith

Reaction score
If you don't have a ton of contacts, you can enter them in your Gmail account and they will sync back to the phone. I put pix of my contacts in Gmail and they now show up in the contacts list on my phone. Once you enter your Gmail info when you set up the phone, you never have to worry about syncing. Whatever you add to Gmail or Google Calendar online will show up automagically on your phone. It also works the other way so if you add something or someone to the phone, it will show up online.

J

JohnDroid

You should be able to export your contacts from Palm via a CSV or similar, then import them into your Google Contacts.

Do you have a Google account (ie, gmail.com email address) set up yet?

OP
D

dreemesicle

Reaction score
JohnDroid...Yes, I have a Google account and have set up a GMail account. Please explain what a CSV is? I probably have no buisness getting a Droid since I have very little knowledge about what I'm doing lol
Thanks for your help!

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
JohnDroid...Yes, I have a Google account and have set up a GMail account. Please explain what a CSV is? I probably have no buisness getting a Droid since I have very little knowledge about what I'm doing lol
Thanks for your help!

If you are using Outlook on your computer. You can send all your contacts to Gmail using a csv file. Once you create the file you sign in to gmail, and import the file there. It will populate everything in gmail. Once you get your device. Just sign in to google with the acct name you have your stuff in. It will be almost immediate. You can also use the Google calander and it will populate. FWIW I googled the how to from Outlook. It was pretty simple. Maybe Palm has the same type of help online with instrcutions to export your contacts.