Newbie needs help plz

dpmeeks

Reaction score
I purchased a D1 phone off the internet and they said it was setup for verizon. Well.. i had verizon check the ESN and it came back clean. I purchased the phone and after getting home the phone is actually setup for criket !

Is there any way i can get the phone set back up for verizon ??

aDroidman

Reaction score
Yes I'm guessing your rooted? If not that's the first step

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

aDroidman

Reaction score
If your rooted them download rom manager from the market and go to roms then bugless beast and in the extra there is a baseband update. Its the stock baseband that came with my D1. Hope this helps

OP
D

dpmeeks

Reaction score
It has Sprecovery installed. yep im pretty sure its rooted. How can i download the app if i dont have cell service for the droid or do i download to my PC ?

Ive never had a droid and im completely new to all this.. sorry...

also... I noticed like a typical newb i put this in the droid 2 area, sorry its a D1

Last edited:

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
The basebands can be downloaded here ---> Peter Alfonso <--- whether or not this is all you need to do to reflash to VZW I am not sure -

OP
D

dpmeeks

Reaction score
thank you for the link.. but, how do i get them onto my phone ??? I know everyone says go to market but i cant since my phone is currently not turned on to any provider. Would i be able to do all this with a SD card ?

i hate to ask.. but im gonna need step by step instructions.. im completely new to droids and dont know how to do anything with em. If anyone could help i would truly appreciate it !!!!!!

Last edited:
OP
D

dpmeeks

Reaction score
for some reason it wont let me turn the wifi on ??

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
The link I provided can be accessed via computer and the files placed on the devices SD card via USB or card reader - the baseband would then be installed through recovery

What I am not 100% about is...if updating the baseband flashes it back to VZW

aDroidman

Reaction score
Ok to make the market work over wifi you have to sing into your gmail account. I'm assuming you have bypassed the main set up screen when you click the Droid..... go to settings wifi and networks and add your wifi. Then go to settings accounts and sync and add your gmail you should be able to use the market now.

aDroidman

Reaction score
If doing it via recovery......download the file connect your phone to your computer and transfer the file to your SD card. Disconnect your phone and reboot your phone into recoveey. To do this in the Droid 1 turn your phone off open the keypad and hold X and the power button till you get into recovery. At this point you have to install the baseband. Update via SD card (can't remember name) it should be the phone that manually allows you to select the update. Go through your SD card and find the file (btw you use the volume up and down to move and camera key to select) select the file then yes I'm sure it should install the baseband and then reboot your phone and it should work with Verizon

OP
D

dpmeeks

Reaction score
ok.. heres what ive been doing... i dont have the usb calbe to connect the phone to the PC. I downloaded the file to my pc and saved to my SD card. I re-named the file update.zip, i insert the SDcard into my phone, i boot into recovery and go to install/sdcard/update.zip (deprecated).

When i do all this.. it starts to install then it says..

finding update package
opening update package
verifying update package
E: cant open/sdcard/update.zip
(no such file or directory)

Last edited:

aDroidman

Reaction score
Don't rename the file..... I've installed it before and I didn't rename it. Also make sure you are manually finding the file the auto update doesn't work very well from what I've found.

OP
D

dpmeeks

Reaction score
k.. im gonna format my SD card... download the file again... and try installing without re-naming it.

How do i manually find the file ?

ok one other question.. when i install the SD card into my card reader it comes up as blackberry ( i had the card in a BB phone ) could that be the problem ? Do i need to format the card in the droid before trying to re-flash ?

ok... i formatted the SD while in the droid and now it comes up as removable disk G

Last edited: