newbe Bionic update

tawneyp99

Reaction score
Ok, so I'm new to the whole smart phone thing and was trying to do the update to the new 5.5.893 our what ever the new operating system is and when I click on the system update on my phoney it says there are no updates available. So how do you update these phones? Thanks in advance. Also how hard is it root a phone?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

CurGeorge8

Reaction score
Lol, you have violated soo many internet rules here. Most importantly, you didn't search the recent posts for an answer to your question.

markc23

Reaction score
Welcome. The new update isn't available for general consumption yet, only soak testers and maybe some general public. Official roll out should be soon. I haven't rooted mine yet as I want to stay on the official upgrade path with few hassles. I had rooted my OG Droid. I think typically it's easy but you would need to read more to verify root procedures and ease or difficulty levels for the Bionic.

Ok, so I'm new to the whole smart phone thing and was trying to do the update to the new 5.5.893 our what ever the new operating system is and when I click on the system update on my phoney it says there are no updates available. So how do you update these phones? Thanks in advance. Also how hard is it root a phone?

powerwagon

Reaction score
Must be rooted to get the leaked update. There is no official update as of yet. As far as how to root...search this forum, there is plenty of information on how to do that.

OP
T

tawneyp99

Reaction score
Thanks for all the answers, I'm not the best at forums so sorry for any rule breaking

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
So how do you update these phones? Thanks in advance.

As for the official OTA (Over The Air) update, it'll be two ways:

If the update loads in the background (like it did with my OG Droid), you'll get the announcement that an update is available. You'll get an option to install now or to be reminded in an hour.

The other is what you are doing by going to Menu>Settings>About phone>System updates. If the update is available for you, you'll see an announcement to download now or later.

It should look like what you see at http://support.verizonwireless.com/c....html?id=51973

I also want to mention that it'll be RANDOM. So random that if you bought 2 Bionics at the same time, one could get the update days before the other.

Last edited:

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
Plenty of places to find how, but in short no it's actually fairly simple to root. Developers these days are so awesome they put it in a nice, neat little package so all you have to do is click a few times. However there ARE different types of "root" so make sure you really research what you're doing before you do it.

Don't worry too much about forum rules, there could be a 4 year college degree on internet forum etiquette, so for first timers I expect nothing. But there is a search feature so if you ever have any other questions and don't see it on the front page, feel free to use that and, though some seem to think it's faster to make a new thread, it's almost instant if you just search it yourself. Welcome to Droid Forums! dancedroid

chesterstreet

Reaction score
Received the latest update on yesterday....Dont see much of a difference. The way I knew it was coming was that the market updated every new app on my Bionic just before they rolled out the update. I honestly think the only reason I got it was because I bi%ched and moaned with VZW and Motorola about frequent reboots. None of which they were willing to say they were aware of. Keep in mind, I complained and then informed that I was told by VZW tech that an imminent update would resolve my issues. Although Motorola tech support would not acknowledge these know issues, they were all too happy to send me a replacement. Well low and behold my replacement was ordered through verizon on Friday, received my update on Sunday, and replacement handset arrived today. And guess what, havent had any of the issues as before. My issues were constant reboots, problems with motospeak locking up phone and rebooting, in addition to having the black screen and no way of toggling to bring it back up. So I have not had any of those issues since the update, whereas before i would have these issues 4 or 5 times a day.

Just my 2 centsdancedroid