New Version of Google Earth Released

danDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
google-earth11.jpg

Google has released v1.1 of Google Earth for Android which includes an impressive "Explore the Oceans" feature. You can now explore some of the deepest places on earth with great detail all from your Droid!
With the release of this feature, escape the hustle and bustle of life on land and discover the marine world using Google Earth on your mobile device. Now, you can check out the landscape and terrain in Monterery Bay Canyon, which is larger than the Grand Canyon, by zooming in on Google Earth below the ocean surface just off the coast. Once underwater, we can use the “look around” button to tilt the view and see the extent of this great undersea canyon.

The latest version of Google Earth for Android also introduces the “Explore the Ocean” layer, which features hundreds of photos and videos from more than 100 contributors who are excited to share their stories of sea. Plan your next vacation during your daily commute by clicking on any of the little blue icons. The gold highlighted icons represent content from the Mission Blue Hope Spot initiative.
For those of you running Android 2.2, there are some more treats in store. Google Earth now supports Flash in balloons, so if you have the Flash player installed on your mobile device, you can watch videos right in the balloon. We’ve also made the program easier to navigate; for most devices, you can now use two fingers to “look around” and change your viewpoint, as an alternate to using the on-screen button. This makes it even easier to tilt your view to see mountainous landscapes or underwater canyons. Rotating your view with a simple twist of your fingers is now available on more devices as well.

Google Earth for Android 1.1 is available in Android Market today for most Android devices running version 2.1 or later. Explore the ocean anywhere.
qr-goog-earth11.jpg
Source: Dive into the ocean with Google Earth for Android - Official Google Mobile Blog

ocdtrekkie

Reaction score
I only want to know one thing.

Apps2sd?

If not, I don't have room on my :motdroidhoriz:

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
Thank god to the SD it goes!

Interesting how reporting shrinks hen it's moved as well, obviously leaves some in phone mem and the rest is on the SD... But still a GOOD thing.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thank god to the SD it goes!

Interesting how reporting shrinks hen it's moved as well, obviously leaves some in phone mem and the rest is on the SD... But still a GOOD thing.

Yes, the reason I didn't download it previously was because of the amount of app space it took on my phone, but now being able to move it to the SD card makes it a cool little feature to play with, amaze your friends, etc.

infinity8x3

Reaction score
I heard it still puts 15mb on your phones internal storage. That's still to high for me.

jase

Reaction score
Yep, looks like it was roughly 20mb on the phone before the move, and 14.93mb on the phone after the move. So it only shifted about 5mb to the card.

I'll play with it for a while, but sadly, Google Earth will be the first thing that goes if I start running short on space.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
I have it moved entirely to my SD card... But I'm also running a custom ROM that allows forced SD installs except on Maps updates and a couple of other apps. Earth moved fine, strangely enough.

It's still an improvement. Hopefully the next update will fix it entirely.

ocdtrekkie

Reaction score
Yep, looks like it was roughly 20mb on the phone before the move, and 14.93mb on the phone after the move. So it only shifted about 5mb to the card.

Yeah, this is still too steep for me probably, I installed it again, but if I get a low memory warning, it'll be gone again.

dug-e-fresh

Reaction score
Never downloaded because of its massive size. Why does it have to be THAT big?

Whats odd is that it shows as 20+ mb on the phone... mine wouldn't update unless I un-installed the previous version... so I did... and it was a 5 mb download... but then shows up as a 20+ mb app. Weird...

def

souljerr

Reaction score
Never downloaded because of its massive size. Why does it have to be THAT big?

Whats odd is that it shows as 20+ mb on the phone... mine wouldn't update unless I un-installed the previous version... so I did... and it was a 5 mb download... but then shows up as a 20+ mb app. Weird...

def

If it were only 5 mb I'd download in a sec. Oh well.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score

I'll play with it for a while, but sadly, Google Earth will be the first thing that goes if I start running short on space.

Yeah. In my case I installed it and then tried to install Flash. I couldn't because there wasn't room, so I uninstalled Google Earth and installed Flash. With being able to move a quarter of the app to the sd card (I'm unrooted), I'll pass on this until all of the app will move.