New update, now can't charge phone?

pugliellidude

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Didn't seem to find anyone else with my issue so I wanted to post and see if anyone could provide any clues as to my situation

Apparently, after I accepted the most recent OTA update from Verizon about a day or two ago, my phone no longer charges when plugged into the wall. I am absolutely perplexed by this issue. At the moment, my phone will only charge when plugged into a computer via the USB or, strangely enough, when plugged into my car charger. And actually, I am typing on my phone as it charges while plugged into my Xbox!

I took the phone to Verizon to have them try my phone on another charger thinking something must have happened to mine only to find that my phone would not charge on any of the chargers in the store either. So, I was told that while they hadn't heard of my problem, I should wait it out for an update they are assuming will be released to fix the issue (!).

Has anyone else heard of or experiencing this issue? At first it made sense to me that only charging via USB debugging was possible (as I feel like its a software issue), but then it just blows my mind that I can also charge on my car charger. Any thoughts/help would be greatly appreciated! I know Verizon is going to want to reformat my phone and I'd really like to avoid this especially if its not the solution to the problem.

Just some quick info: I'm on an HTC Incredible and I'm using the factory charging cable both for wall charging and USB debugging. I've also tried all the charging while the phone is off to no avail.

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums App

tigerdango

Reaction score
It would definitely have to be a problem that happened to be some kind of malfunction in your phone hardware or software. I have the same phone and same charger with the same update and it works.

OP
P

pugliellidude

Reaction score
Hmm, unfortunately that's what I'm thinking... still hoping for there to be a fix. I just wish I understood how the phone goes about recognizing the different connections. When you plug into the wall, I would assume it just recognizes a power supply, which is why I'm baffled my car charger works. If I could make sense of that, I feel as though I'd have a better idea of why there's a problem or how to fix it. I appreciate the heads up that your phone didn't incur this problem after your update!

If I can't get any answers, at least I'll have a better idea of what I'm dealing with once I get the ever delightful "the customer doesn't know anything" attitudno from the Verizon staff 8)

tigerdango

Reaction score
Lol yeah. No worries tech support gets worse it seems everywhere. That's why we consumers have to stick together right? :3

OP
P

pugliellidude

Reaction score
Well, you were right, tech support is terrible. Apparently the only problem was my charger, yet I was sent on this wild goose chase because the Verizon gentlemen originally helping me had told me it was my phone after spending 30 minutes trying to get it to charge on his store chargers. What the hell he was doing I will never know.

I went to another Verizon store and my phone started charging immediately when they plugged it in. I definitely felt like a moron. So, I got a new charger and I'm good to go! Good thing I didn't sit around waiting for that update I was told to wait for...