After market wall chargers lock up our phones.

Durango_Boy

Reaction score
I can't say I understand why this is happening.

My Wife has an Eris. I bought her an accessory pack. It cam with some generic chargers, car and wall. When her Eris is plugged into the wall charger the screen won't unlock and if you press the menu button to unlock it it just keeps vibrating.

I thought this was odd since it charges the phone perfectly.

So then my accessory pack arrives for my Incredible. Same thing. When I plug my Incredible into this generic wall charger, it charges just fine, but it's won't unlock using the touch screen and if you press the menu button it just sits there and vibrates.

I'm going to buy some adapters at Verizon instead but I find it odd that these chargers will not only charge as they are supposed to do but they lock two different model phones up...just because they are generic?

Anyone else experience this?

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Off-brand wall chargers have been known to cause problems with the Moto Droid. For that reason, I only use Blackberry and Moto brand chargers, and I have no problems.

kable

Reaction score
Have the same issues on an off market charger with my Regular droid and my Droid Incredible. Dont think there is a fix, and I quit using the charger because I dont want to destroy my phonetoy.

AnneDroid

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I can't say I understand why this is happening.

My Wife has an Eris. I bought her an accessory pack. It cam with some generic chargers, car and wall. When her Eris is plugged into the wall charger the screen won't unlock and if you press the menu button to unlock it it just keeps vibrating.

I thought this was odd since it charges the phone perfectly.

So then my accessory pack arrives for my Incredible. Same thing. When I plug my Incredible into this generic wall charger, it charges just fine, but it's won't unlock using the touch screen and if you press the menu button it just sits there and vibrates.

I'm going to buy some adapters at Verizon instead but I find it odd that these chargers will not only charge as they are supposed to do but they lock two different model phones up...just because they are generic?

Anyone else experience this?

It's the current you have to worry about. There are three requirements for a Droid charger (for example):
1) it has to have the appropriate type of connection
2) it has to source sufficient current (>500mA)
3) it has to have a 5V regulated output. The chargers that cause problems have unregulated outputs and have been known to damage the phone and cause it to act erractically all by itself.

RayN

Reaction score
Same thing happens to me when I try to use the converter in my car to charge my phone with the charger it came with. I can plug the USB into a lighter USB socket and it will work fine but no bueno on the converter.

borgey401

Reaction score
It has to be the chargers no doubt about it

Sent from my Droid Incredible using Tapatalk

Waveraider

Reaction score
My Inc did something similar when I used a bluetooth headset charger to charge it. I think it's something to do with the wattage.

manilaboy1vic

Reaction score
from what ive been told.. teh moto droid charger is okay with the INC..

also i have a car charger i bought (from vzw) for my moto droid and it plays nice with my INC.