New Update For Droid Incredible Today

ambrown

Reaction score
So I was just using my phone (Droid Incredible) and got an OTA message to update now. One issue though, the "restart & install" button is dimmed and I can't seem to press it, so it just sits there. I have always seemed to get updates early in the update cycle and I usually get them before I even read about them online, so this seems new.

A few concerns though. 1) Since I'm usually first in line I don't know if this update will bring back all the bugs I was so happy to get rid of last time I finally updated. 2) here's the update description from Verizon's website: http://support.verizonwireless.com/pdf/system_update/incredible.pdf

T
he "improvements" and "fixes" in this update are as follows according to the above link:

+ Record and send a Visual Voice Mail to up to 10 recipients while seeing all parties in a list.

+ Improvements made in Bluetooth® Car connectivity

+ Resolved issue where purchased Verizon App ringtones could
not be saved to the device.

Now my second concern is this; I don't use visual voice mail because I'd have to pay for it to use it (a rip off if you ask me since I've heard AT&T offers this free of charge, though if I'm wrong on that feel free to correct me), I don't use Bluetooth in car since, well my car doesn't even have Bluetooth connectivity, and I don't use Verizon ringtones since they are a waste of money, especially when you can make your own for free, etc..

So after all that is it worth it to update? Hmm...maybe I'll just wait to see how it plays out first. But on the other hand it's going to get really freaking annoying having this update notice pop up every other day prompting me to update:angry:.

Note: I currently see the inability to initiate the update (^see above^) as a non-issue since I don't even know if I want the update yet, so I'll just cross that bridge when I get there.

i bet this is the update i just had come in, but i got the no space message. i deleted some messages and a few apps i wasent using. i guess now i wait and see if it comes back again.

If you want to force the update, go to manage apps/all/Google framework services. Clear data then force stop. Reboot phone and you should get the notification for the update. Some times it takes a few attempts.

I just got my ICS via OTA this morning. version 4.08.605.14. locked up after the reboot but removed the battery, reboot and all is well. playing around with it now...

Well iv downloaded it but when it says rebootng, nothen happens. Iv forced the update 3 times and nothen happens.

edit: after google reading i found a trick that worked for me. its now rebooting with the new update. hopefully i wont get the out of space message.

Last edited:
tantdyalf said:
I just got my ICS via OTA this morning. version 4.08.605.14. locked up after the reboot but removed the battery, reboot and all is well. playing around with it now...

Sorry to burst your bubble but the update isn't ICS. Its the software version. If you go into settings> about phone it lists your Android version and the software version and others. The software version is from HTC and Verizon to usually patch and fix bugs.

The first time I got a software version update I too thought it was Android version 4.0.xxx and thought there was some mistake (I knew the Incredible wasn't going any higher than gingerbread, unless I wanted to root and ROM it) but then realized it was the software version.

cris said:
Well iv downloaded it but when it says rebootng, nothen happens. Iv forced the update 3 times and nothen happens.

edit: after google reading i found a trick that worked for me. its now rebooting with the new update. hopefully i wont get the out of space message.

I had this issue with the last update. I had to clear the dalvik cache and delete a ton of apps to get it to work. Thats one other reason I'm reluctant to update because it's a pain to do it, and the supposed "fixes" aren't compelling since they fix features I don't use.

i dont know what this update fixes, but whats stupid is you have to pay 2.99 to use that video email crap. i can live with out that.

@cris
No kidding. Thats why I'm not even sure I want to update it. I should just give in and root my phone so I can put an ICS or Jelly Bean ROM on here. And then I can finally be free of Verizon bloat for good.

well now my phone is stuck in a boot loop after the screen times out, i looked down saw it rebooting thought weird, then the home screen came up, then it timed off after 15 seconds, what o got it set at, then reboot again, then again and again. looks like ill be getting my 7th droid inc

Well didnt want to but had to do a factory restore. Seems ok now.

This has been my only frustration with my htc inc. The loops I've had to jump through with the updates. Deleting apps to free up space when there is plenty of available space... Anyway, it has been a really nice phone, overall, and has sold me on android, for good. I don't think I'll bother with this update. I'm due for an upgrade, anyway.

if you do the factor reset on the phone, do you have to get it reactivated. it's my work phone that's doing this and it's rebooting and I don't want to do it right now at 2am and have my phone out till I can get our phone person to fix it!

I have accepted the download and installed the update on my Incredible 1 and am having trouble. I have to open the case and take out the battery several times a day! (For instance I thought my recharger was shot - again - when it wasn't! The phone started charging fine once I removed the battery.) Is there a way to "uninstall" and then re-install? I do not want to reset to factory condition! I've already done that at the first of the year and had everything "backed" up just to find out that I couldn't reload the backups. Is there a way to do that as well? :frown: Thanks for your help! :biggrin:

Back