New to the Smart Phone World

StudentNurse

Reaction score
I have never owned a smart phone before and this whole process is confusing to say the least! I have been able to upgrade through verizon since April, but was waiting until I started nursing school, which starts this week. :) I know that I want a droid so I guess that is a start! However, how does one know which type of droid to pick or specs to look for? As for me, this phone will mainly be used for my nursing apps. I do some texting and I am sure I will occasionally be checking email and surfing the net, but mainly I am buying it for the nursing app. Thank you for your guys input!

Nursecindi

Reaction score
Hi, I sent you a welcome on your other post, just wanted to let you know, although it has been out a little while I LOVE my Droid X only issues I've had are my ignorance and learning curve for smart phones. Lol. But phone is awesome, fast and apps are a wonderful thing. I use my phone for everything, amazing how I got along without it. Good luck with your phone search and school.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Arkbird

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums!

It's like anything you buy. You have to do some research and decide what fits best with you. Do you need a physical keyboard or not? Do you need a large screen or does screen size not matter. Do you want a 4G phone or is 3G fine with you? These are examples of questions you should ask yourself when you're looking to see what kind of android phone you want.

OP
S

StudentNurse

Reaction score
Thank you Nursecindi! I am looking forward to my adventure!

Arkbird I plan on going to verizon to get some hands on experience per se. The pull out key board would be very nice and so would the larger screen. In fact, I was googling the largest screen made by droid the other day. As far as the 4G goes, I don't think my area has that yet and I think I read somewhere that the 4G will use up more GB quicker. Again, this is all new to me.

Arkbird

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well going to Verizon is a great start. There you can see what's out and how everything Android works.It also helps to look online at the phones they offer just so you can get an idea of what to look for.

OP
S

StudentNurse

Reaction score
I tried looking online to see if I could narrow my choices down and that's where I got overwhelmed! LOL!! Way too many choices.

Arkbird

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah there are which is why you should think about what you're looking for. But going in the store and getting some hands on time will help.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I tried looking online to see if I could narrow my choices down and that's where I got overwhelmed! LOL!! Way too many choices.

Yes it can be overwhelming, but when I first got into the "smartphone world" I used alot of youtube phone reviews. Yes youtube has many reviews of the same phone, but I personally find TechBuffalo(?) to be the most helpful. jon4lakers I believe is his username and he is very very thorough with his reviews. He goes through just about everything with the phone from the screen to the different uses of different users.

Asking other members is helpful too, but I believe there is a bit of bias as well, considering they own the phone and chose it (majority of the time). We'll try to help as much as we can over here, but choosing a phone is personal preference of course and the best advice I can give is head to the store and try them out for yourself.

I'm not familiar with nursing apps, but depending on the amount of time you're looking at your phone I might actually recommend a larger screen for you just to make it easier on your eyes. Of course with a bigger screen comes with larger dimensions all around and that may not be for you.

Best advice: check out some reviews of the phones on youtube, usually they tend to be less bias and give a fairly general review of the device.