Verizon LTE World Phone?

LuvMusic

Reaction score
I like the super smart phones being released now. I want LTE. Android required. I want a Nexus or Razr type of world phone. Do you think Verizon will deliver?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
It might be a while. From what I understand trying to have all those radios in one phone gives them trouble. Maybe when the next generation chips come out it'll be more feasible and we'll start to see some world phones.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

silver6054

Reaction score
According to the specs on the Motodev site, the razr has LTE, CDMA and GSM/UTMS radios. It's also been stated by Matt (MotoForums) that the verizon model won't be global "at this time" suggesting to some that gsm isn't enabled, but perhaps can be...

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

OP
LuvMusic

LuvMusic

Reaction score
According to the specs on the Motodev site, the razr has LTE, CDMA and GSM/UTMS radios. It's also been stated by Matt (MotoForums) that the verizon model won't be global "at this time" suggesting to some that gsm isn't enabled, but perhaps can be...

Well, that's a glimmer of hope, unfortunately not enough of a glimmer to invest in. I really like Verizon's network in the US and I have an unlimited data plan so it it disappointing as an Android fan that the only high-end world phone offered by Verizon is the Iphone 4S and nothing new on Android.

Wouldn't be that critical if it wasn't for traveling to Europe regularly. Good thing I'm not in a hurry, I'm not eligible for an upgrade until March. We could see another two iterations of LTE phones in 4-5 months. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Byakushiki

Reaction score
If I recall right, I4S is not global. It is a CDMA device; Droid 2 Global (fully unlocked down to the radio) and D3 (same state) are the only global phones available on verizon. Frankly, I'd rather not be on the bleeding edge; if I were to upgrade right now, it'd be to the Droid 3, not the Bionic, Razr, or Nexus. A solid, reliable, global workhorse>the ultimate device in my honest opinion.

OP
LuvMusic

LuvMusic

Reaction score
If I recall right, I4S is not global. It is a CDMA device; Droid 2 Global (fully unlocked down to the radio) and D3 (same state) are the only global phones available on verizon. Frankly, I'd rather not be on the bleeding edge; if I were to upgrade right now, it'd be to the Droid 3, not the Bionic, Razr, or Nexus. A solid, reliable, global workhorse>the ultimate device in my honest opinion.

According to the Verizon rep I talked to and teh Verizon web site, the I4S is a world phone and has a SIM card....still it's an Iphone :frown:

At this point, I personally wouldn't invest in a device that doesn't support LTE......I feel the need, the need for speed! :)

Soucouant61

Reaction score
According to the Verizon rep I talked to and teh Verizon web site, the I4S is a world phone and has a SIM card....still it's an Iphone :frown:

At this point, I personally wouldn't invest in a device that doesn't support LTE......I feel the need, the need for speed! :)

Not sure about this the V iPhone, but Verizon reps have told me that several phones are Global that are not. (Bionic for one) Their belief is that if it has a SIM it is global. That is just not the case, and they need better training on their models.

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
According to the Verizon rep I talked to and teh Verizon web site, the I4S is a world phone and has a SIM card

i know for a fact the i4S is a world phone because my fiance' has one and she is in Australia right now using a pre-paid GSM sim card on virgin mobile with her i4s.

BobB

Reaction score
Just to add to the comment above, the Incredible 2 is also a world phone. Too bad it's not LTE - it would be an ideal phone in my opinion. I love the size of it, the stability of it, and the good battery life.

rayr0d

Reaction score
Not sure about this the V iPhone, but Verizon reps have told me that several phones are Global that are not. (Bionic for one) Their belief is that if it has a SIM it is global. That is just not the case, and they need better training on their models.

Iphone 4s - is a global device - the latest for VZW in that category

Other Global smartphone in VZW lineup are : HTC Incredible2 / Motorola Droid 3 Global / Motorola Droid Pro for Android also joined by the once coveted Blackberry and its deep line up of 2 phones - the Bold/9930 and Torch/9850 and the lone Windows representative - HTC Trophy

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Iphone 4s - is a global device - the latest for VZW in that category

Other Global smartphone in VZW lineup are : HTC Incredible2 / Motorola Droid 3 Global / Motorola Droid Pro for Android also joined by the once coveted Blackberry and its deep line up of 2 phones - the Bold/9930 and Torch/9850 and the lone Windows representative - HTC Trophy
The iphone does not have LTE. It is a global device though.

OP
LuvMusic

LuvMusic

Reaction score
Lots of good information, suggestions and insight....thank you! :icon_ banana:

Prior to starting this thread, my international work schedule for 2012 was "murky" and this has changed.......going to Europe at the end of January and early in March for a total of about 4 weeks and I know more is coming. So the need for a cutting-edge "world" phone from Verizon is important to me. What makes the situation frustrating is I really like the new generation of phones being released now. Bigger HD screens for my aging eyes, fast processors that will keep pace for a couple of years, greatly expanded memory, ICS (or ICS soon) and 4G...all features that are important to me.

AND I can't get this feature set on a Global/World Verizon device! I have an available upgrade, the desire and grandfathered unlimited data but a phone that will meet my needs isn't available from Verizon. :angry: (Editorial comment: This is the type of situation where the merger between ATT and Tmobile would hurt even more)

I can wait for awhile......maybe mid-January......and that's what I plan on doing at this time. However, I've been looking (drooling?) at an unlocked GSM Nexus and that might be the solution. The Samsung Galaxy S2 HD looks interesting also. I just wouldn't have Verizon's network when in the US.....not desirable but not a game-stopper.

What are your thoughts? When do you think a Verizon LTE world phone might appear (not sure how I feel about the Droid4....looks heavy and not sure it will be a world phone)? Any experience with using an unlocked GSM device?

I appreciate the advice / insight!

silver6054

Reaction score
Lots of good information, suggestions and insight....thank you! :icon_ banana:

Prior to starting this thread, my international work schedule for 2012 was "murky" and this has changed.......going to Europe at the end of January and early in March for a total of about 4 weeks and I know more is coming. So the need for a cutting-edge "world" phone from Verizon is important to me. What makes the situation frustrating is I really like the new generation of phones being released now. Bigger HD screens for my aging eyes, fast processors that will keep pace for a couple of years, greatly expanded memory, ICS (or ICS soon) and 4G...all features that are important to me.

AND I can't get this feature set on a Global/World Verizon device! I have an available upgrade, the desire and grandfathered unlimited data but a phone that will meet my needs isn't available from Verizon. :angry: (Editorial comment: This is the type of situation where the merger between ATT and Tmobile would hurt even more)

I can wait for awhile......maybe mid-January......and that's what I plan on doing at this time. However, I've been looking (drooling?) at an unlocked GSM Nexus and that might be the solution. The Samsung Galaxy S2 HD looks interesting also. I just wouldn't have Verizon's network when in the US.....not desirable but not a game-stopper.

What are your thoughts? When do you think a Verizon LTE world phone might appear (not sure how I feel about the Droid4....looks heavy and not sure it will be a world phone)? Any experience with using an unlocked GSM device?

I appreciate the advice / insight!

Even though my last four Verizon phones have been global (Motorola Z6c, Samsung Renown, Droid 2 Global, HTC Incredible 2) I am not convinced that this is a smart thing to do! I think that global capability always causes a compromise (or at the very least, a higher price), until CDMA goes away. In particular, I would expect the first generation of LTE/Global phones to have bugs, and would probably wait for the second release, but then the US-only phones would have the new exciting feature X (6.9 inch, 5D telepathic screens) which would be missing on the global phones. But, that said, I will probably still buy the first generation if it comes out at contract renewal time, I just know it is probably a bad decision!

If AT&T LTE coverage is here/coming soon in the places you use the phone, you might want to look at their phones as they are global "for free", they need to expand their LTE phone range but that should happen soon.

Oh, BTW:
> fast processors that will keep pace for a couple of years,

Nah, within 3 months any processor will appear, at least to the fan-boys, as hopelessly outdated!