New to the Droid - My review

deek

Reaction score
I just got my new Droid X in the mail about two days ago. I have patiently waited (I say that vaguely) since my new every 2 became available which was about 5 days after the release of the Droid X. That in itself was sort of a pain to deal with. I initially moved up my date from the 20th to the 19th, to speed up the process of getting this phone. I was able to do that successfully talking with a Verizon representative with no issues at all. But, what I came to learn that day was how the Droid X was on back-order almost everywhere. After doing some searching, I found out a Wal-Mart had one about an hours drive away. After arriving, I found out that they didn't honor the "new every 2" that Verizon offers. I was upset, and decided to wait (We are talking about $100, so why not right?) I also was on a call list for the Droid X through Best Buy, and about 1 1/2 weeks ago, they had a few come in and called me up. Than, once again, I found out that they did not honor it. I finally caved and ordered one online, which I should of done initially (Just I am a type of person who likes to have something in hand when I buy it when possible..) It finally arrived sooner than expected which was great.

I upgraded from an LG Dare that was roughly 2 years old, so a new Droid X was going to be more than enough phone for me to handle. But there are some thing(s) that I have found that I dislike about the phone, but I know it's already been mentioned on the reviews.

#1 - The Ringer is very quiet... It almost seems like I could leave my ringer on at work without any issues at all. I was not impressed at how quiet the ringer was. In a quiet setting, you will hear it no problem, but in a car with the radio on, you will likely miss calls. Is there any fixes to this, or is it more of a..... "You'll just have to deal with it?"

#2 - Notification(s)... I liked on how my LG Dare, if I had a new Txt message, Picture Message, etc. it would notifying me taking up the whole screen. On the phone, there are a few ways you'll notice. One is the light will be blinking green if on standby and the other is by checking the top bar for an e-mail box or txt msg box. I feel likely I'll likely miss a lot of text messages down the road.

#3 - Text messaging.... I am a huge texter, I'll text way more than I'll talk on my phone. With that said, I used to use the predictive text style on the 0-9 key-pad. I was very fast at texting this way. I do realize that this is a new phone and I'll have to get used to it and the swipe option is pretty neat and quick, but I still sort of miss that old way of texting. Are phones moving on from this option? I can type nearly 100 wpm, but using a cell phone on qwerty, my fingers have yet to realize where the letters are.. Weird huh?

#4 - Having to move sound files into certain locations to get them to work for different ringers (i.e., Notifications, Alarm, Ring Tones). I wish I could just save 1 and it can be accessed from everywhere, but, now I have to move each one to the corresponding folder. Luckily, after searching on here I was able to find the solution and the help of an app.

Anyways... those are my #4 rants about the phone.. Other than that, the thing is awesome... I love it, and feel proud to own one. I love the apps I can get for free, and the almost unlimited things I can do with it. As a new user, I do have a few questions I hope some people can answer for me.

#1) Reccomended apps? I maybe missing out on an update that I am unaware of, but I swear while in a Verizon store, the sales associate was able to show me the navigation and was able to use street view. I was unable to zoom in to the 3D view where you actually see the houses, etc. I've already gotten the App Killer App, but I have heard bad things about it, what's the take on this?

#2) Reccomended websites for purchasing accessories. I have found one and bookmarked it. I intend to get a screen protector, a silicone case, the HDMI cable, and the car mount. Any other suggestions?

#3) I have logged onto this site using my Droid X and visited the wallpapers... Are there any sites that offer 3D wallpapers?

#4) When I had my LG Dare, I used a program called BITPIM where I was able to upload images, videos, ringtones & also download from my phone to my pc images, videos, and ringtones. Is there a program out there that will work like this? (I wouldn't mind uploading Mp3s) BitPim was very helpful for my Dare

#5) I mostly feel like a newb asking this question, but does using wireless when it is available cost money? What is that extra $20/mo fee for mobile hot spot do? Pros cons?

Thanks for any input and responses. I know this is lengthy, but I like to type. :) I hope to visit here often!

OP
D

deek

Reaction score
Wireless tethering, basically, how easy is it to do?
I can see using the 3G network to access the internet via laptop where wireless is not available would be a huge up-sell for me. I work on several different locations that would allow me to use the net, but, have no wireless networks available.