New to Droid X

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Ok well first lets get you rooted. Use one of my two earlier suggestions. Z4root is by far the easiest thing you can use. After that i'll probably just personally walk you through the rest. Having trouble finding a good tutorial.

tappin and a talkin

OP
J

Jake1991

Reaction score
Alright, I'm getting z4root right now. What do I do after I run it?

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Open it and select permanent root. It will do its thing and then reboot the phone iirc. Then you will be rooted.

tappin and a talkin

OP
J

Jake1991

Reaction score
Okay, well right now its rooting. But what is my next step?

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
When you get rooted youre going to want to pick up 2 apps, droid x bootstrapper which is available in the marketplace for 3$ i think or available from the developers website for free. The other app is called titanium backup. This is used to backup all of your apps for the purposes of flashing roms. There is a free version but i highly reccomend the paid version which will expidite the process quite a bit.

tappin and a talkin

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
You can just get bootstrapper and trust google to redownload all of your apps after flashing the rom but it wont restore their data. If cost is the issue you can work with the free version of tb. I cant because i have 307 apps so it takes forever with the free one. You however probably have less than fifty so you can make it work.

tappin and a talkin

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Titanium will be for backing up your apps (and their data) when you wipe data and cache before installing anything.

Can I JUST get bootstrapper?

DroidForums junkie!!

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
+1! Speed and the ability to freeze bloatware vs uninstalling them is the biggest plus to the paid version of TB (to me).

You can just get bootstrapper and trust google to redownload all of your apps after flashing the rom but it wont restore their data. If cost is the issue you can work with the free version of tb. I cant because i have 307 apps so it takes forever with the free one. You however probably have less than fifty so you can make it work.

tappin and a talkin

DroidForums junkie!!

OP
J

Jake1991

Reaction score

tappin and a talkin

Alright, I have both these apps. Now what?

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Open TB and start backing up your apps

DroidForums junkie!!

OP
J

Jake1991

Reaction score
Okay, what do I do with bootstrapper. Same thing?

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Ok now open the dx bootstrapper and hit bootstrap recovery. Since its the first time you've used it it will ask you for root access in a little pop up window. Grant it access and then hit bootsrap recovery. A message will pop up saying sucess. Then hit reboot recovery. It will turn the phone off and boot you through the moto logo in to a menu with green lettering, this is clockwork mod recovery. You navigate using the volume rocker to go up and down, the power button to go back and the camera key as your enter key. Navigate down to the menu titled backup/restore and enter thet, then choose backup. This will make a backup of your stock system. A progress bar will pop up and when its done it will shoot you back to the main menu where you'll select reboot now.

tappin and a talkin

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Ok now open the dx bootstrapper and hit bootstrap recovery. Since its the first time you've used it it will ask you for root access in a little pop up window. Grant it access and then hit bootsrap recovery. A message will pop up saying sucess. Then hit reboot recovery. It will turn the phone off and boot you through the moto logo in to a menu with green lettering, this is clockwork mod recovery. You navigate using the volume rocker to go up and down, the power button to go back and the camera key as your enter key. Navigate down to the menu titled backup/restore and enter thet, then choose backup. This will make a backup of your stock system. A progress bar will pop up and when its done it will shoot you back to the main menu where you'll select reboot now.

tappin and a talkin

+1 10characters

OP
J

Jake1991

Reaction score
On the titanium thing, do I have to click on each app and click backup? Because that is taking forever lol. And I'll tell you when I'm done with bootstrapper