New study indicates that ads in apps cause 70% of battery drain

NoBloatware

Reaction score
exactly my thoughts. Every adblocker I've used blocks the url from displaying, but the app still tries to do it...

And meanwhile the app is uploading your contact list, your current location, who knows what to an ad server so they can sell your info. This type of stuff is a disgrace. I see the light at the end of the tunnel and Richard Stallman is basically it. Enough wasted energy already. Let's get down to brass tacks.

srothkin

Reaction score
I'm not sure that blocking the ads would mean that the app your are using would stop trying to display them.. meaning it may not improve battery consumption.. i hope i'm wrong.. i barely use any apps that have ads anyway but its still ridicules that ads use more battery vs the app itself..
My guess is the bulk of the battery consumption for ads is in the data transmission (I think the radios use a lot more power for a given amount of usage than the CPU does). To the extent that an ad blocker prevents the app from using the radio (e.g. by remapping ad server domains to localhost), I would think that should help.

52brandon

Reaction score
And meanwhile the app is uploading your contact list, your current location, who knows what to an ad server so they can sell your info. This type of stuff is a disgrace. I see the light at the end of the tunnel and Richard Stallman is basically it. Enough wasted energy already. Let's get down to brass tacks.
I could see that. Is there no app that prevents that kind of info from being sent out? I can understand apps having to access certain parts of your info in order to work correctly, but I don't see any logical reason for them to need to, let alone even be allowed to export that kind of info

captdroid

Reaction score
My guess is the bulk of the battery consumption for ads is in the data transmission (I think the radios use a lot more power for a given amount of usage than the CPU does). To the extent that an ad blocker prevents the app from using the radio (e.g. by remapping ad server domains to localhost), I would think that should help.

yup +1

loki993

Reaction score
Ive honestly never had great luck with ad blockers. It seemed like half the time they didn't really work. I also never noticed a difference in battery life when using one, but id sure be willing to try again.