Prototype Nano-Tech Charger Can Fully Recharge Your Cell Battery in Under a Minute

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
[video=youtube;9DhJZAhjbcI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DhJZAhjbcI[/video]​

Although it sounds like something out of Shadowrun novel, there is some new tech on the horizon which could make our worries about smart-device battery drain a thing of the past. An Israeli company named StoreDot just showed off a high-tech new prototype battery charger at Microsoft's Think Next event. This new battery charger utilizes Nanodots technology, which is essentially some of the newest nano-tech available.

Nanodots are bio-organic nanocrystals with superior energy storage capabilities, although commercial applications for them could eventually be seen in data storage, flexible displays, and imaging sensors. In this particular application, the Nanodots are used in the battery charger to dramatic effect. In the video demo above, the company uses their prototype to recharge a dead Samsung Galaxy SIII battery in less than a minute! This is probably one of the only times in your life where you can get excited about watching a battery charge.

Right now the size of the nano-tech battery charger is a bit cumbersome, but the developers at StoreDot are working on reducing its size. They are planning on bringing this device to market as early as 2015!

[Editors Note: I've said it before, and I'll say it again... the future looks bright!]

Source: StoreDot

jspradling7

Reaction score
They cut the part of the video where it bursts into flames. lol Kidding. Pretty cool!

mikesmith0890

Reaction score
What would this do to the battery at the recharge rate? I'd be worried about diminishing the quality and losing overall "life" of the battery.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I don't need a battery that charges in a minute...I need a battery that lasts all day under heavy use.

1coopgt

Reaction score
The battery must have gotten very hot . Wonder how many times the battery can handle being charged like that . Very cool to see though.

Narsil

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'd gladly trade half my battery's usable lifespan for sub-minute charging. I'd gladly replace my battery every three months for that. Sorry, this only applies to non-suckers who didn't fall for non-replaceable battery phones like the Nexus and Moto phones; you're crap out of luck.

If I could stop in a hallway or office and totally recharge my battery in less than a minute, I wouldn't need a battery that lasted 18 hours of heavy use. It would be nice, though, and my Note II comes close to that. Then again, I wouldn't need to use the sub-minute charging daily. Most days, I'd use the standard charging overnight or in the car commuting. I very much would, however, like the OPTION of being able to fully charge my phone in under a minute when I needed to do so, even if it compromised the overall battery longevity.

I doubt anyone who's had a smartphone for much time at all can honestly say they've never had the need to put a significant charge on their battery but didn't have time to do so.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
If my phone could charge by using the kinetic energy in my pocket when I walk, I would be happy with that. I walk on average 1.5 miles a day. With all that movement, if my phone charged itself 10% in that time, it would be worth it.

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
All you need is a brick the size of your phone to make it work. Of course it will be miniaturized in years time but I'm not looking forward to this in my next phone. I think we'll be walking around with mini reactors in our pocket before this finds a use in mobile tech.

Cars on the other hand...

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Here in Thailand they are experimenting with wireless over the air electricity. That seems like a better concept as we would never be concerned about how much battery we have left.

jspradling7

Reaction score
Wasn't that one of Nikola Tesla's ideas? That would be awesome.

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
Here in Thailand they are experimenting with wireless over the air electricity. That seems like a better concept as we would never be concerned about how much battery we have left.

Nikola Tesla, if somehow were still alive, would have had the world going on this for some time, perhaps since the 20's.

Tesla's Tower of Power • Damn Interesting

Fantastic read on one of the most interesting men to have ever lived.

EDIT: Got ahead of jsp there looking up the article, sorry.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Wasn't that one of Nikola Tesla's ideas? That would be awesome.
For home use, they install some kind of receiver.
Mobile devices would need a variant of this receiver in order to work. I think it's doable.

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
After through testing of the potential effects on humans, animals, and global issues like thermal large scale heating that their are no ill effects to the technology, it should begin small scale testing ASAP. If it's feasibly cheaper than fusion and a lot safer, why not?

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
From what i have read, they are testing this concept in small areas in Bangkok.