Solved new standalone Google Photos app

MattE303

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S5
Anybody installed this on a Galaxy S5 or similar? What happens to the Photos app that was pre-installed, does the new standalone app take its place, or do you end up with both?

droidprincess

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Iphone 7 Plus
Twitter
droidprincesstx
I just downloaded.....let's see...

*Update*...well I will have to play with it for a bit....I'm guessing this app does not replace the "gallery" app on your phone....I'm sure if you chose the Google app you could disable the stock gallery.

sent from my fabulous Note 4♡

Last edited:
OP
MattE303

MattE303

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S5
Actually I wasn't referring to the Gallery app. When I updated to KitKat (I think) I got some version of the Google "Photos" app (pinwheel icon, backup and "Auto Awesome" functionality etc.). In the "About Google Photos" screen in settings in says Build Version 5.6.0.94508375).

But when I go to the Play store page for the "new" Photos app they just released, it says "Install" rather than "Update", so it seems to think they are separate apps.

Is this different than what others are seeing?

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I'm seeing "Install" on the Google Play store when I already had Photos pre-installed on my Galaxy s4 since I updated to Lollipop.

OP
MattE303

MattE303

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S5
okay, I see what's happening. The "old" Google Photos "app" was actually part of Google+, it wasn't really a separate app even though it had its own icon (it doesn't show up in Application Manager, and the build number in the about info exactly matches the build number for Google+).

If you install the new standalone Photos app from the play store, the old icon will disappear.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Thanks for finding out. I guess I'll download the new one and see how it is.