Google+ Update Warns Users Built In Photos App Is Going Away

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Google announced the stand alone Photo's app at Google I/O a few weeks back. They made pretty big waves when they also announced that everyone gets unlimited 16mp photo and 1080p video storage for life! The old photos which is currently included in Google+ did include some editing features which really added some value. Once you accept the Google+ update to v5.8 you will find a warning which states that the Google+ version of Photos will stop working soon, and then links you to the standalone app. Once you update to the new Standalone app which is pretty well stripped down you can gain some of the old functionality with Sanpseed.
Head to the playstore for the new standalone app.

via Play Store

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
There is a catch to that "unlimited" storage. You have to provide them permission to "slightly" reduce the quality. If you don't want to do that it's something like 17GB. That's probably enouh for some people.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
16mp and 1080p works for me for unlimited storage.

I'm digging the new photos app, but I'm still perplexed with how I can delete pictures simply from my phone. I want to leave a copy in the cloud, but not have certain pictures taking up space on my device. In Photos, when I try to delete something, it warns me that it will delete it from everywhere, which I understand, but I still want those pictures available to me with proper data connection.

Anybody else have an issue with this? I'm assuming I could use my file explorer of choice and delete the files from the phone and they'd still show in the app since they're in the cloud (assuming they've uploaded), but there should be a better way.

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
I use "Drive" on my phone and I can delete all I want on the phone and it is still out there. Any cloud storage that only does a one-way sync would work.

And yes 1080P and 16MP can be uploaded just fine, unlimited, but the fine print says at a reduced quality.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Looks pretty good to me.
Photos by Jon J. - Google Photos

I don't want separate apps to manage my photos. Photos works nice for me. I do see now that the app has a Trash feature, so at least you have a chance to get one back. "Photos will be permanently deleted after 60 days".

I guess it boils down to me needing to be more picky about the pics I backup. Do I really NEED that one I linked up there again after I shared it to wherever I was going to share it? Probably not. Same thing with model numbers of appliances I've worked on, recipes to get ingredients. Do I really need to hang on to them forever? No. And I use OneDrive to backup ALL pics when on wifi and charging, so I've still got copies elsewhere.

I think I'll prune Photos to just be pics that I KNOW I'll want to share with people quickly and easily on my device (or through social media), let OneDrive backup those AND the others, and be done.

Thanks Lee. Somehow, I feel like you led me to this conclusion.

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Same thing with model numbers of appliances I've worked on, recipes to get ingredients. Do I really need to hang on to them forever? No.
What a relief...all this time, I thought I was the only one with random pictures of things like the underside of my kitchen faucet, empty bottles of hair conditioner and jalapenos, device tags... :)

-Matt

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
It's only logical. Why would I write that stuff down when I can snap a quick picture of it and be done? We did that at Menards as well when we bought the bricks for the wall in the picture I linked up above. We had 2 different colors and they had their own skus. I snapped a pic of both of the skus and simply told them how many I wanted to buy of each, then drove the truck around to load 'em up.

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Jonny you are for sure my long-lost evil twin brother. :p BTW, I have some pictures of gravel you might be interested in seeing!

-Matt

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
What a relief...all this time, I thought I was the only one with random pictures of things like the underside of my kitchen faucet, empty bottles of hair conditioner and jalapenos, device tags... :)

-Matt
That is totaly so true. Last time I looked at Google Photos on-line I found random photos of a yellow note pad and my keyboard. Go figure.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
So, I found this option in Settings today. Would be nice if they told you that was an option when you tapped the trashcan.
7de309fdf4c38ead2c69f5d6440f995e.jpg

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Also, those first pictures are pages of a scrapbook that my mom made for my Grandma. Those only exist in the cloud, so I can't "remove those from the device" without losing them everywhere. Would like better options for organizing photos in the cloud. Guess it won't be that big of a deal in a week or two when I've taken enough pictures that they're not right at the top, but I'd like to be able to keep some pictures without having to flick through them to get to others.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Why not simply create separate folders or albums to organize your photos? It only takes a second to do within the gallery on your device.

S5 tap'n

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Why not simply create separate folders or albums to organize your photos? It only takes a second to do within the gallery on your device.

S5 tap'n
Can you do that with Photos though? My whole thing is I'm trying to fully embrace Photos as my gallery of choice. I won't lie, I've never been very big on putting gallery photos into folders to organize. The search feature of Photos kinda solves that problem as long as it recognizes my dog/etc. Then, I just search dog and it shows me all of the pics of my dog (and some of my cats too, strangely).

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Yeah, I'm not sure since I don't use it. I figured it was worth a shot since every other gallery & photo app gives you that option, I can't imagine this one doesn't. I currently have just over 600 photos on my device and without the various albums I've created, it would be a mess trying to find anything.

S5 tap'n