New potential Droid user

MichaelW

Reaction score
I am about to pull the trigger on a smartphone and more than likely the Droid X.

I am older and don't care much about things other than accessing email, taking some pixs (not high resolution wall art), reading PDF's, and most Microsoft app files such as word and excel. PowerPoint would be cool, especially if I can attach the HDMI to a tv and do my PPT presentations via my phone. Using the GPS and the music player eliminates 2 other devices.

I also have an aircard from Verizon. I have seen a product called PDAnet that seems to allow for tethering and this could replace the air card and yet another device. Anyone care to comment on how this works on Verizon? If so this could justify the data package on the phone in exchange for removing the $60 unlimited data line for the air card.

I sell solar power and there are two companies with apps that I really would like for my Droid but currently they only support the i-something or other. SunPower (solar panel company) has a monitoring app that I really want to be able to show to potential customers. SolMetric has some site evaluation and design tools that would really expedite my site visits. So if you want to petition these companies for me, for a Droid version of their apps, that would be awesome!

SunPower Corporation
Sol Metric

I also live in Nevada and travel to relatively remote locations and my carrier of choice services those areas whereas another carrier doesn't. And since the primary function is still that of a phone, what good is it if I can't get service.

So am I barking up the right tree with the new Droid X? I have used crackberries and treos in the past. Not a big fan of packing around the size but it seems the Droids remove some other clutter from my life such as a GPS and the ipod and the extra phone line for the air card.

Thanks for the replies!

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
It's hard to say. Because in all that wonderful story you gave us you never mentioned what you're currently using.

You mentioned mail being important. Some people do have mail issues with the droid, I don't because I use gmail so everything is seamless. If you are use to Blackberry for example you may have a bit of a learning cuve.

This isn't to say Droid doesn't do mail well, it does, it's just a matter of getting it set up properly. Again if you have a gmail account, you're ready to go. But if you're running hot mail or even yahoo, there might be some hurdles there.

But they can be overcome.

Can't help you on the tethering. Never used it, don't know anything about it.

Documents to go will take care of pdf, excel, and that kind of stuff.

OP
M

MichaelW

Reaction score
Sorry.

Didn't think the phone I was currently using was relevant as I am just now getting back to smart phones.

But anyway...

A Casio GZ One for the record.

And no, it doesn't do much of anything that I want in my new phone. Well make and receive phone calls. Although being impact, dust and waterproof would be nice. :)