New Motorola Smartwatch Just Passed Through the FCC

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
I don't care about LTE as my main motivation is fitness and I can't add a device to my plan without buying a new plan or scrapping unlimited. I'm fine being unplugged for an hour so long as it has bluetooth and wifi, but I really wanted to see a heart rate monitor AND gps.

That makes sense as well. I'm just looking to have a reason not to need my phone on me 24/7. It would be great to be able to be mobile and still make phone calls without my phone around.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
That makes sense as well. I'm just looking to have a reason not to need my phone on me 24/7. It would be great to be able to be mobile and still make phone calls without my phone around.

If you have wifi you could possibly do wifi calling with one of those apps.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I don't care about LTE as my main motivation is fitness and I can't add a device to my plan without buying a new plan or scrapping unlimited. I'm fine being unplugged for an hour so long as it has bluetooth and wifi, but I really wanted to see a heart rate monitor AND gps.
I thought the Moto 360 already has a heart rate monitor?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
It's a hoot. Some don't want to pay an extra line fee out data plan but it's well worth the $10 a month to me to leave my phone at home. I could do without the data radio but since I'm paying for it I use it from time to time. The unlimited texts/calls is really cool. But not for everyone.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
Note8

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I thought the Moto 360 already has a heart rate monitor?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

But no GPS....the upcoming Galaxy Gear A has both (along with a marginal bump in specs to 768 megs of ram), but it's running Tizen. I don't believe Tizen can run Android apps, so that's a non-starter for me.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I use my phone, browser, text, camera, etc etc too much throughout the day to leave my phone at home in lieu of a 1.5" watch screen. No thanks.

S5 tap'n

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I use my phone, browser, text, camera, etc etc too much throughout the day to leave my phone at home in lieu of a 1.5" watch screen. No thanks.

That's why I've always felt the market was fitness, at least initially. Most people have ditched watches, and those who haven't aren't interested in such fashion accessory eyesores.

I use my phone throughout the day, as well. But I'd love to be able to leave it at home when I'm working out. Pathetic to think I can't be uncontactable (and that's not necessarily the case, depending on wifi) for an hour a day.

People got along just fine before the Blackberry 15 years ago.

Reactions: cr6

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
johnomaz said:
What

What propriority band? I'm using a silver metal band that was for the Pebble. Have had it since day one. Needed no modification.

That's not a standard watch band. If you look under the watch body you'll see a notch that requires the watch band to have a gap in the center. If you look at standard watch bands they don't have this gap. I had to shave away the notch on my 360 to attach a nice high quality stainless band. I didn't like the pebble band at all. It's a little flimsy feeling. The pebble links aren't solid ingots, and if you look at the edge you can see they're folded sheets. That fold collects sweat residue, old skin, and grime inside after a while. Lots of times when people complain that metal bands irritate their skin its because they have a folded metal petri dish strapped to their wrist. Good activity watch bands use solid links to avoid that.

Here's a post I made when the watch first came out detailing what I had to do to attach a really good standard 316L stainless steel solid link band:

3rd party metal bands - Post 28 - XDA Forums

There's no center gap :

Aq_UxUBMDfyWFyKALPBX0Yn93FkKe3BK49G3somImYU=w900-h588-no

Here's the gap on some bands:

2.JPG

The high quality band takes the watch to the next level in looks and adds considerable weight:

7.png

Last edited:

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I've found a bunch of watch bands on amazon with that notch though. Before the Moto 360 was launched. I figured it was just one of the kinds of bands out there.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
That's not a standard watch band. If you look under the watch body you'll see a notch that requires the watch band to have a gap in the center. If you look at standard watch bands they don't have this gap. I had to shave away the notch on my 360 to attach a nice high quality stainless band. I didn't like the pebble band at all. It's a little flimsy feeling. The pebble links aren't solid ingots, and if you look at the edge you can see they're folded sheets. That fold collects sweat residue, old skin, and grime inside after a while. Lots of times when people complain that metal bands irritate their skin its because they have a folded metal petri dish strapped to their wrist. Good activity watch bands use solid links to avoid that.

Here's a post I made when the watch first came out detailing what I had to do to attach a really good standard 316L stainless steel solid link band:

3rd party metal bands - Post 28 - XDA Forums

There's no center gap :

Aq_UxUBMDfyWFyKALPBX0Yn93FkKe3BK49G3somImYU=w900-h588-no

Here's the gap on some bands:

2.JPG

The high quality band takes the watch to the next level in looks and adds considerable weight:

7.png
Though it adds weight have you noticed it being a balanced addition? On my S when I added a steel band it added weight but the setup feels more balanced on my arm now, like the weight is distributed evenly across my entire wrist area.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
Yeah. It feels balanced mostly because the 360 is so big. I wear my watch bands loose so it resettles on my arm well and doesn't cinch my wrist bone knob. I always had heavy watches so it feels natural to me. A lot of people don't like the added weight.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah. It feels balanced mostly because the 360 is so big. I wear my watch bands loose so it resettles on my arm well and doesn't cinch my wrist bone knob. I always had heavy watches so it feels natural to me. A lot of people don't like the added weight.

That's why I asked. I didn't realize the 360 was "heavy" , for lack of a better term because it's relative. The only ones I've messed with were security locked, making true feel impossible. I like mine a smidge loose as well for the same reasons, the watch resettle instead of dig in, like the stock style bands tend to do, even when loose because of lack of weight balance.
Thanks.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4