New Launcher : ADW

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
Scaling issues abound with this update. This is causing both the widget stretch and large highlights.

I'm running a "stock" 4x4 froyo with no themes.

I also cannot remove the background from the app drawer icon.

I hope the Dec is on top of this, I love having 4 shortcuts back, but I like to scroll/flip below my last row, which now is populated by the stretched highlights for that row.

I can live with it for now. :)

pdroid

Silver Member
Reaction score
anderwebs did state on his site that the new widget/number of icons feature was "experimental"....anyway, I'm happy with 0.7.8

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hmm I updated and haven't had any problems for the most part. I tried doing an 8x8 but it cut of a lot of the widgets. I've seen that running 4x5 has minimum distortion though. So far I'm very happy with this update :)

dmo580

Reaction score
Interesting observation:

Weird support about icons vs widgets. A lot of us use widgets like SMS Unread or some sort of widget for an icon to replace our icons, giving us a counter for # of missed calls/emails/SMS... however, widgets are treated as a different size as shortcuts? I just noticed this in 0.80. I believe this is a new bug.

So I have a GMail widget with a counter and a regular email shortcut for Exchange, and it seems the two icons sit at DIFFERENT levels. One is like 1/3rd icon height higher (same size, diff position) than the other. It's kinda annoying because that row of desktop icons has 1 icon that's sitting higher....

When you long press a shortcut you can see the highlight reveals there's a large area under the icon that gets highlighted. This does not happen on widgets that act as shortcuts... Odd.

snap20100614_213512.png

See? That's what I mean.

Zindrix

Reaction score
How do you get 4 app shortcuts in the bottom bar? I can only get 2 and I have no idea (within the settings) how to get 2 more.

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
Enable the option to replace the desktop buttons in ui settings.

Ander has released an update this morning that allows you to disable auto stretch
(I called it yesterday, was scaling problems), on his site he says it was his bad that even the 4x4 looked bad, but we forgive him.

Back to normal now with 4x4. But with 4 shortcuts! :)

Which begs the question, why a more cluttered screen when we have more pages anyway, plus a 6 shortcut hidden drawer?

I like it stock, sort of ... :)

dave4100

Reaction score
Enable the option to replace the desktop buttons in ui settings.

Ander has released an update this morning that allows you to disable auto stretch
(I called it yesterday, was scaling problems), on his site he says it was his bad that even the 4x4 looked bad, but we forgive him.

Back to normal now with 4x4. But with 4 shortcuts! :)

Which begs the question, why a more cluttered screen when we have more pages anyway, plus a 6 shortcut hidden drawer?

I like it stock, sort of ... :)
What tab is that under. I can't find it. Just found it.

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
ADW settings, UI Settings, Secondary ActionButtons, you were looking too closely, you need to keep your face near the droid only when on the phone silly :p

pdroid

Silver Member
Reaction score
looks like anderwebs put out a fix for these scaling issues, 0.8.1

dmo580

Reaction score
Can the developer comment on smothness/speed of the latest versions? I know in LauncherPro we saw some dropoff in smoothness (Yeah I love watching for ADW and LP updates and I swap between the two but 98% of my use is on ADW still). I noticed that this dropoff in smoothness came with scrollable widgets and the developer for LP implemented a way to disable that to bring back the old speed.

I'm wondering if this has had some effect on the ADW smoothness also. Initially I stuck with LP because of its smoothness. Then ADW came to be just as competitive and I stuck with ADW, but it seems LP is smoother now again? Not sure. Hah.. basically that's been my benchmark...

Also.... is it me or is the previews slightly choppy when you hit Home for the 2nd time? It seems SMOOTHER when you use the pinch function, but less smooth generating the previews (same animation) when using the Home button. Care to comment?

pdroid

Silver Member
Reaction score
I don't think ander comes around here dude, you should hit him up on his twitter or his site

gardobus

Silver Member
Reaction score
Can the developer comment on smothness/speed of the latest versions? I know in LauncherPro we saw some dropoff in smoothness (Yeah I love watching for ADW and LP updates and I swap between the two but 98% of my use is on ADW still). I noticed that this dropoff in smoothness came with scrollable widgets and the developer for LP implemented a way to disable that to bring back the old speed.

I'm wondering if this has had some effect on the ADW smoothness also. Initially I stuck with LP because of its smoothness. Then ADW came to be just as competitive and I stuck with ADW, but it seems LP is smoother now again? Not sure. Hah.. basically that's been my benchmark...

Also.... is it me or is the previews slightly choppy when you hit Home for the 2nd time? It seems SMOOTHER when you use the pinch function, but less smooth generating the previews (same animation) when using the Home button. Care to comment?
not to thread jack, but the LP dev already released a new version to correct the smoothness issue.

kmarmet

Reaction score
Can the developer comment on smothness/speed of the latest versions? I know in LauncherPro we saw some dropoff in smoothness (Yeah I love watching for
not to thread jack, but the LP dev already released a new version to correct the smoothness issue.
and its super smooth once again

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

dmo580

Reaction score
Can the developer comment on smothness/speed of the latest versions? I know in LauncherPro we saw some dropoff in smoothness (Yeah I love watching for
and its super smooth once again

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

I know... that's what I'm wondering.... If LP corrected it, maybe ADW can be corrected? Or maybe this is just the placebo effect and it hasn't really slowed down :D