New Huawei Batteries Charge From 0-50% In Minutes!

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

If you could have one major advancement in your next smartphone what would it be? We have reached screens so sharp we can't even see all the pixels, processors and gpu's that rival next gen gaming consoles, super fast memory, cameras that nearly match DSLR's and batteries that don't last us through the day. If you had a perfect phone chances are you would only need to charge it once every few days. For now the only way to achieve this is to just make the battery huge.

There are some Chinese phone manufactures that are making phones that last for days on a charge like Oukitel who has an 8000mah behemoth phone coming out. One other way that manufacturers have dealt with this issue of single day power is to provide options for fast charging. Many phones give you hours of use for 15 or 30 minutes of charging.

Huawei has decided to tackle the battery issue by developing a super fast charging battery. Their new Lithium-Ion batteries can charge at speeds of up to 10 times faster than the standard battery. They have two batteries in testing now. The first battery is 600mah and can charge from 0-68% in two minutes. Their larger battery is 3,000mah and can charge to 48% in just 5 minutes! This is huge! Who needs all day battery life when a 20 minute charge could potentially give you a full battery. This is pretty outstanding when compared to Qualcomm's upcoming Quick Charge 3.0 which boast a 3,000mah 50% charge in roughly 30 minutes.

Companies could use this in one of two ways. They could keep batteries the same size as what we have now at 3,000mah, or they could make batteries smaller since they could be easily charged quickly. This would give oems space to either shrink phones or add more features.

PRESS RELEASE

Huawei reveals the next generation of quick charging technology

The new batteries can be charged 10 times faster than current batteries, reaching approximately 50% capacity in mere minutes

[Nagoya, Japan,Nov.13, 2015] Watt Lab, which belongs to the Central Research Institute at Huawei Technology Corporation Limited, unveiled their new quick charging lithium-ion batteries at the 56th Battery Symposium in Japan. Using next generation technology,these new batteries have achieved a charging speed 10 times faster than that of normal batteries, reaching about 50% capacity in mere minutes.
Huawei presented videos of the two types of quick charging lithium-ion batteries: one battery with a 600 mAh capacity that can be charged to 68% capacity in two minutes; and another with a 3000 mAh capacity and an energy density above 620 Wh/L, which can be charged to 48% capacity in five minutes to allow ten hours of phone call on Huawei mobile phones. These quick charging batteries underwent many rounds of testing, and have been certified by Huawei's terminal test department.

According to Huawei, the company bonded heteroatoms to the molecule of graphite in anode, which could be a catalyst for the capture and transmission of lithium through carbon bonds. Huawei stated that the heteroatoms increase the charging speed of batteries without decreasing energy density or battery life.

Huawei is confident that this breakthrough in quick charging batteries will lead to a new revolution in electronic devices, especially with regard to mobile phones, electric vehicles, wearable devices, and mobile power supplies. Soon, we will all be able to charge our batteries to full power in the time it takes to grab a coffee!

Huawei's Watt Lab works closely with industry partners to promote technological development and pursue a new energy era. Watt Lab specifically focuses on the technical development of energy storage to support a better connected world via sufficient energy.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Based on the specs.. I would like to see a lighter smaller phone.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Also revealed, today's quick charge methods reduce the life of the battery.
Huawei's new method will not impact battery life.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
^^I agree ^^
I'm not a fan of the manufacturers, with what seems like, a lazy approach to the increasing of battery capacity. Consumers have been complaining for years, yet the manufacturers continue to ignore us and instead focus on the easy fix, ala "quick charge". Then they try to distract us with their super thin lightweight devices that have awesome camera optics, gorgeous displays and ridiculously high pixel counts that aren't really practical on a 5-6 inch device.
I liken it to the automotive industry that holds back engine technology that could easily double & triple our MPG numbers while producing much lower emissions.
If they don't want to focus on larger batteries, at least give me the option to swap it out with a fresh one.
There's no denying that quick charge is a great feature, but the technology is already here to be able to provide us with both a quick charge feature AND a larger capacity battery.
Hook a brutha up already!

S5 tap'n

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
So if you have a larger battery with QC and QC negatively impacts your battery's life what do you gain.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Throw old battery out and put new one in, they are like $5-10 for a new battery.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Throw old battery out and put new one in, they are like $5-10 for a new battery.
I haven't seen or would consider a $5. battery, but I'm sure they exist. And what about those devices that do not have removable batteries.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
That's the problem. Manufacturers want us to toss devices in 1-2 years, planned obsolescence.

Reactions: cr6

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
That's the problem. Manufacturers want us to toss devices in 1-2 years, planned obsolescence.
It was actually consumers with their lust for latest and greatest that fuel that. As an example, How many got a new phone this year because their old one was worn out only?

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

Reactions: cr6

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
It was actually consumers with their lust for latest and greatest that fuel that. As an example, How many got a new phone this year because their old one was worn out only?

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><
I bought one because it was outdated and not performing well. If I could upgrade it like my car/truck/pc/etc I would keep them longer than 3 years.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I haven't seen or would consider a $5. battery, but I'm sure they exist. And what about those devices that do not have removable batteries.
They do have them for 5, but I wouldn't trust them. I just checked and can get an OEM replacement battery for my S5 for 12-15 bucks. Just under 10 if you're an Amazon Prime customer.
Can't beat that.

S5 tap'n

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
^^I agree ^^
I'm not a fan of the manufacturers, with what seems like, a lazy approach to the increasing of battery capacity. Consumers have been complaining for years, yet the manufacturers continue to ignore us and instead focus on the easy fix, ala "quick charge". Then they try to distract us with their super thin lightweight devices that have awesome camera optics, gorgeous displays and ridiculously high pixel counts that aren't really practical on a 5-6 inch device.
I liken it to the automotive industry that holds back engine technology that could easily double & triple our MPG numbers while producing much lower emissions.
If they don't want to focus on larger batteries, at least give me the option to swap it out with a fresh one.
There's no denying that quick charge is a great feature, but the technology is already here to be able to provide us with both a quick charge feature AND a larger capacity battery.
Hook a brutha up already!

S5 tap'n

I don't see quick charging a form of them being lazy. I see it as a bandaid until battery technology can catch up.

Previously, phones were used just as phones. A relatively small mAH battery could (and still does) power those phones for days.

Then the internet came. Battery life took a hit. Larger batteries were manufactured. Life rolled on.

Now you have gigantic screens that suck the juice down like there is no tomorrow. Samsung went with Amoleds which helped a lot, but it still isn't enough.

I do understand why the OEMs went thinner and thinner on their devices. The majority of people don't want a large and heavy device on their person.

Battery tech has to catch up. Until it does you will have fast charging and power saving modes as a crutch.

Although my Note Edge has a removable battery I don't own any. I got into the habit of migrating most of my daily consumption towards my tablet.

However, I am in the camp of those who don't mind large bulky batteries. I had a zero lemon 10,000 mAH battery for my s3, s4, and Note 3.