New holster for D2 - magnetic or velcro?

droidny

Reaction score
I used to keep my blackberries in holsters that would close magnetically. Can I do the same with the D2 or do I need to get one with velcro? I think I heard somewhere that the droid phones don't play nice with magnets?

harv2000

Reaction score
I used to keep my blackberries in holsters that would close magnetically. Can I do the same with the D2 or do I need to get one with velcro? I think I heard somewhere that the droid phones don't play nice with magnets?

The true answer is, it depends, but I recommend against it. The Droids use magnets to initiate the dock functions. The result is that if you happen to put the Droid in the holster in a certain position and the magnet hits the Droid right, the Droid will come on and stay on in a docked state in your holster. The battery will run down fast and it can build up a fair amount of heat.

OP
D

droidny

Reaction score

The true answer is, it depends, but I recommend against it. The Droids use magnets to initiate the dock functions. The result is that if you happen to put the Droid in the holster in a certain position and the magnet hits the Droid right, the Droid will come on and stay on in a docked state in your holster. The battery will run down fast and it can build up a fair amount of heat.

Thanks for the info.
I couldn't really find any velcro holsters with a belt clip online that are specific to the D2. Will holsters for the D1 work just as well?

Droid2Doc

Reaction score
That's interesting, as the Verizon Wireless store sold me a generic holster with a magnetic clasp and told me it would be fine with my Droid 2. Maybe that explains some of the battery issues I've been having...

breadslice

Reaction score
The HTC horizontal leather holster, with a magnetic clasp, can hold the Droid 2 without invoking the dock mode. The fit is just marginally loose but overall feels almost like it was made for the D2. I've tried moving it around quite a bit and it doesn't look like the magnets are strong enough to affect the unit, regardless of whether it was facing inward or outward.

The model number is 82024LRP.

digger01

Reaction score
Hey Droidny and others regarding magnet case problems. I had the same issues and found an app in the droid market. The app is called: Dock Nothingness and is only 20.00kb. I installed it and resolved all the magnet problems. Note: after installation, it does not show up as an icon. You can locate it via: settings/applications/and is listed.
You can test it by holding running the embedded magnet in your case over the front and back and it will not not go into navigation mode.

Kamokazi

Reaction score
I've been using my TP2 case from Easecase on eBay with no issues. 70% battery at the end of the day average (unless I use the head and play Robo Defense...hehe), so it is definitely not turning on.

I have one fitted for the Droid 2 on the way. It uses the hidden magnetic clasps. Very nice quality case, and they let you customize them how you want. $40 shipped well worth it.

Here is their store link:

eBay My World - easecase

Oh, if you want a hole in the bottom to push it out, just ask..after you specify other options. I did it on my TP2 and realized I forgot on my D2...hopefully it doesn't bug me too much.

solar

Reaction score
I've used a MOBO horizontal case with mag closure for my Droid 1 and it works just fine. On occasion it'll trip the car mode when its passing in or out of the holster, but it doesn't stay on and doesn't cause a problem. My first case gave me big problems with the magnets. I don't have an exact model but I got mine at FRY's.