Magnets around cell phones?

Droiduga

Reaction score
Magnets can erase digital data and should be kept away from computers etc. so why are they ok in cell phone holsters (I bought one at best buy that has a magnetic closure flap) Plus my BB curve had a magnetic flap on its holster. Does anybody know why its ok to have magnets close to your phone?

IIGood

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S6
Magnets are bad to have around media such as conventional hard drives and floppy disks. The magnet can erase the data on such media.

Flash memory utilizes solid state chips which are not affected by magnets.

Basically, cell phones do not have any conventional hard disk or floppy disk in them.

Lukerative

Reaction score
What he said.

Also, even the docking stations (car and home) have magnets placed in strategic locations to activate the respective mode.

Or to quote the brilliant Insane Clown Posse, song Miracles, "Water, Fire, Air and Dirt, F'n magnets, how do they work?"

debdroid1a

Reaction score
I wondered the same thing when I saw the magnetic holsters. So mine has velcro on it. So far so good.
But now I know I have more choicesdancedroidAlways a good thing.:icon_ banana:

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
My original holster (from a previous phone) used magnets for the enclosure. This caused my Droid to go into Car Mode. In fact a memo (to Verizon store employees) that came out November 5th of last year said to steer customers to the holsters with Velcro because of this.