New here with Droid-X issue

Dave007

Reaction score
I foolishly checked the always open with box when offered a choice in how to open an email link. I'd like to undo that.

The normal linux way is to edit ~/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list but a droid is a different animal. Also, I'm not rooted.

Dave

kingsway8605

Reaction score
I foolishly checked the always open with box when offered a choice in how to open an email link. I'd like to undo that.

The normal linux way is to edit ~/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list but a droid is a different animal. Also, I'm not rooted.

Dave

No clue what you are talking about. What did you click? If you mean setting a default application, whichever application you accidentally selected, go to that App in manage applications and select clear default.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Glad to have you.
If you have any questions just ask. As for the always open an email link I'm not sure what your talking about.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

OP
D

Dave007

Reaction score
When you touch (click) a link in an email you get a pop-up that asks which application you wish to open the link with (browser, you tube). At the bottom there is a check-box that says something to the effect of "always use this application." Once checked, you no longer get to choose. I'd like the choice back. With Linux you do that by editing the file that I mentioned. I don't know where that is on Froyo2.2 to fix it.

kingsway8605

Reaction score
When you touch (click) a link in an email you get a pop-up that asks which application you wish to open the link with (browser, you tube). At the bottom there is a check-box that says something to the effect of "always use this application." Once checked, you no longer get to choose. I'd like the choice back. With Linux you do that by editing the file that I mentioned. I don't know where that is on Froyo2.2 to fix it.

Oh. Do what I said in my previous post. Whichever application you accidentally selected, go to that application in the manage applications settings and select clear default. That is how you fix it.

OP
D

Dave007

Reaction score
Thank you. Now my question is, how do I add an app to the complete action with pop-up list? Youtube is not listed. The browser choice won't play the video in the link. I used to chose the Youtube app but it is not a Choice now.

OP
D

Dave007

Reaction score
Well, it pops up a youtube choice when the link is direct to youtube, just not indirect links via facebook. I still wish I knew were it saves mimes like regular linux but the problem I first griped is solved. Thanks again.

kingsway8605

Reaction score
Well, it pops up a youtube choice when the link is direct to youtube, just not indirect links via facebook. I still wish I knew were it saves mimes like regular linux but the problem I first griped is solved. Thanks again.

Weird. Clear defaults for all apps in the equation. If that doesn't work try installing and reinstalling. Android is linux underneath but it is very concealed. Even the terminal app isn't a full terminal.

Elias_Hedberg

Reaction score
No clue what you are talking about. What did you click? If you mean setting a default application, whichever application you accidentally selected, go to that App in manage applications and select clear default.

And how to do it if it’s not an application but a widget?

More specifically I told the Sound Search Widget (included in Jelly Bean) to open found songs in Google Play, which was not a very good idea – but I cannot find any settings to reset for the Sound Search Widget, and wiping the data for Google Play Store doesn’t help.

How can I revert that selection?

UPDATE
I found "Google Play Sound Search" among the apps and clicked "Clear data" (the exact name of the button in English might differ, my system is in Swedish), but tapping the song info on the widget still takes me to Google Play Store – did I misunderstand how to reset the choice of what app to open?

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
Hello and welcome to the forum! Sounds like you have your issue resolved :)...

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
welcome to the forums look like issue id fixed :biggrin:

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
Nope, not yet. I found the app, but clearing its data didn’t help. It still opens song info in Google Play and I’d prefer it opened them in the Browser.

Welcome to Droid Forums!!

I was just messing with the sound search widget (worked pretty well on the songs I tried lol) and it looks like by default it automatically links to the play store. I did not see an option anywhere to link it to the browser.

Elias_Hedberg

Reaction score
Welcome to Droid Forums!!

I was just messing with the sound search widget (worked pretty well on the songs I tried lol) and it looks like by default it automatically links to the play store. I did not see an option anywhere to link it to the browser.

Aha, I got one the first time I tried the widget, but not after that. Maybe there is a difference if it comes preloaded with the OS or if you add it later on? (Mine came with the OTA update.)

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
Aha, I got one the first time I tried the widget, but not after that. Maybe there is a difference if it comes preloaded with the OS or if you add it later on? (Mine came with the OTA update.)

Possibly, mine was installed with a custom ROM so it is a possibility. Even when I navigate to the apps I do not see a "Google Sound Search" but I see a "Google Ears" instead. It might just be different apks since we are not running the same thing but check it out just in case.