New here little help please

snowbunny

Reaction score
Hi i'm new to all of this i just rooted my phone yesterday and i keep hearing all this stuff about roms kernels themes etc. Was wondering if i could get some info on what a rom was and what not what's so special about it and what you could recommend.

Thanks for any help

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
link 2 in my sig for more info - link 4 about overclocking - link 6 for more options

if you ask something specific i can answer it but just start reading :)

OP
S

snowbunny

Reaction score
Alright i will be reading a lot i guess but can you recommend any roms?

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
There are a lot of roms out there. Custom Roms - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum. Just pick one and try it out for a while. Decide you want a different rom, make a backup then flash a new rom. Dont like the new rom, flash your backup and your old rom is back. Some that I've tried from that link were Actngrezy's PE, ChevyNo1's SS, Liquid's LFY, and UltimateDroid. Let us know how it goes.

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
all roms are personal preference. make a backup before any roms then start trying them

OP
S

snowbunny

Reaction score
Figured how to load a custom rom today and loaded ultimate droid. It's really cool i never knew my phone could do all of this i'm blown away. What else is there besides roms?
I read about overclocking today and i saw a lot of warnings and stuff about frying my phone is this really dangerous? I would hate to ruin my phone after just learning what cool stuff i can do with it.

Palazuelosva

Reaction score
Congrats on your new rom, well over clocking is much like a vehicle engine, if you drive fast the engine rpm will be higher and the higher the rpm the hotter the car will get if you drive at a higher than 4000rpm for a long time your car might over heat but its not like the car will explode or anything if you check the temperature and bring down your rpms and let the car rest and cool down then you will be ok. Same with your device, you make your phone faster by overclocking, you raise your ghz from 500 to anything higher. If your phone runs at anything higher than 1000ghz for a long time then it might over heat and the heat might cause a circuit to melt slowly that's why when over clocking checking the temp every once in a while helps. I use setcpu app to over clock my droid 2 at 1000ghz, the stock phone comes at 450ghz. My temp never goes over 105'F. I would say anything over 115'F would mean you need to remove your battery so the phone can cool down and not cause anything to melt. Over clocking does void your warranty so if you damage your phone due to over clock verizon will know for sure because obiously something will be melted inside. Personaly I have never seen a phone get damaged due to over clocking.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
A bad overclocking setup can destroy your Droid. Be careful.

But probably the main thing, other than tethering, that you can do now is theme it. UD has a major amount of themes, so have fun. Make backups and be sure you're installing the right version -- if you install a theme for another ROM or another version of UD you risk bootloops.

OP
S

snowbunny

Reaction score
Okay well i've been trying different roms and i learned how to install a theme which was basically the same as roms and kernels. Just bought rom manager as well so everything is really easy. I've installed a few roms so far did Project Elite, Ultimate Droid (my first), miui which was too different for me and now i'm on sourcery which i think i'm going to stick with.
Also got a custom theme currently rockin rainbows which i really like and i installed the slayher 1000mhz kernel since i heard a lot of good things about it and it was the middle grade one. So i think i'm pretty much set up now :) or is there more?
One other question any good rooted apps? I tried wireless tether which took me a little bit to get set up where i had the lock or whatever on it so only my laptop got it and i thought it was really cool that the droid could do that so what else is there as far as rooted apps? thanks a ton this website has been a huge help i've been searching around and found a ton of great information and guides that has really helped me to get everything set up.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Try other kernels if you haven't already. Slayher kernels have a LONG history of killing battery life and generating undue heat. And to anyone who reads this who has had other experiences, good for you.

Are you running SetCPU? Even if your ROM claims it handles overclocking you really should be doing it yourself. Who do you trust to control the CPU's heat? Devs, who will never see your phone, or yourself, who will use it every day?

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
I would say yes, get Setcpu. Like Furbearingmamal said, you need something to control heat. You do that by setting up profiles in Setcpu.

Swyped from the DroidForums App