New Hacker

RobertinLasVegas

Reaction score
Hello to me, welcome myself. Thank you.
Ok here's the deal. I got the D1 when they first came out, so I can use the phone. I just found out about modifying things, so I want to learn.
I used MotoCache's Rooting instructions - DONE! great love it, but I want more...
So here's the details and question part -
I am running Verizon D1 with 2.2.2, rooted. Got set CPU and overclocked to 800 (awesome), got Titanium backup too.
What is "kernal" and why would I change it?
I am going to flash a new ROM, but am learning and deciding - too much info to go through.
Anything else???

Canadroid

Reaction score
What is "kernal" and why would I change it?
I am going to flash a new ROM, but am learning and deciding - too much info to go through.
Anything else???

It's not too much info to go through if you are about to flash your first ROM.

Linux Kernel

Android relies on Linux version 2.6 for core system services such as security, memory management, process management, network stack, and driver model. The kernel also acts as an abstraction layer between the hardware and the rest of the software stack.

Think of the Kernel as the most critical part of your phone's OS. Don't get giddy over the root access. :)

Stop, breathe & keep researching, don't pull the trigger until you are absolutely sure what you're doing ROM-wise. It sounds like you are already well on your way there, plus you have an OG droid1, but fixing a brick is always a PITA--proceed with caution !!!

:pint: