New to the droid world

stinkybudz

Reaction score
Hello all, I am new the forums and wanted to say hi. I have a droid 1 that i got a month ago that is not as snappy as i would like. I rooted it and installed cyanogenmod 6.1.2 along with setcpu and titanium backup. setcpu says i am running 800 mhz but it does not seem like it is running any faster than stock. Do i need to install a kernal for overclocking it? any advice would be great. thanks in advance.

Welcome Budz and a kernel is never a bad idea if you are over rooting but maybe someone will come along that knows a lil more than me and can tell you exactly what to do. I believe you with some kernels you may be able to overclock to 1.3 or so and you can overclock to 1ghz with setCPU can't you?

Welcome! Agree with Chevy, add a kernel and use setcpu to increase speed

Mike

My addiction

I'm partial to blue for some reason;)

My addiction

Welcome to the forums we're glad to have you. I also have a rooted Droid1 and my first Rom was cyanogenmod as well, the stock kernel was a bit slow and laggy for my Droid. I installed slayer kernel lvltz with overlook 1100max and 400min , set my setcpu profiles and I was good to go. My suggestion would be move up a little at a time, and try them out. You'll find one that plays nice with your new Rom and your awesome Droid. Besides that's one of the perks of rooting,trying dif Roms, kernals and cool features for your device.

Thanks to all you devs out there! YOU ROCK!!!!!

Sent from my Sourcery using DroidForums App

I just installed the slayher kernal and am running 1000max and it is running so much better. Thanks everyone for your input.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

:welcome: stinky.

Your kernel is going to kill your Droid's battery life and generate insane amounts of heat unless you're VERY VERY lucky. There is no need to have a 400MHz minimum as that's 2/3 the stock MAXIMUM!

Overclocking your phone can kill it. Too much heat. SlayHer kernels are notorious for bad battery life and excessive heat. There are many other kernels you could try or you could try manual overclocking via terminal. It's a CM 6.1 specialty thanks to a couple of members here. :) How you want to go is up to you, but I strongly recommend you try another kernel.

thanks, that is good to know. can you recommended a better kernal?

Any of them? :)

ChevyNo1 has a ULV kernel that if you can run will save you a lot of battery. P3Droid has kernels that are the go-to kernel for most people. The stock one can be re-flashed with some added scripts and a module that allow for compcache to be enabled and controlled with the already-included settings. With the stock kernel you can overclock manually, if you're a real tweaker, setting speed slots AND voltage to push it as low as it'll go. :)

Really, though, it's a lot easier to load another kernel and let SetCPU set your speeds. Do you need links to the other kernels for you to try?

Yea a link would be great! I will give the others a try and see how they work out. Thanks a lot

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

P3Droid Kernels

That's P3Droid's kernel link. Make sure you're downloading the 2.2 kernels and I'd recommend you try the LV and 125 low-end kernels. If you run into problems bump up to the standard voltage and then the 250MHz kernels. The reason why I suggest that is with the JIT compiler on 2.2 the lag issues waking up have been resolved and the 125MHz kernel will save you some juice. :)

Chevy has an entire subforum and you shouldn't have any problems finding the other kernel makers with a Google search.

Thanks for the link. I ended up using the LV-125-1100-v32kernel and so far so good. What type of issues would I run into by using the lv 125. Im not expecting any issues, but it is good to know what to look for.

If you start noticing lag, tremendous heat buildup even when not stressing the device, or random reboots. Make sure you have a good failsafe profile in SetCPU.

Hey fur what is considered running hot in Celsius?

Sent from my Sourcery using DroidForums App

Back