New guys needs a little help/advise.

MIKEB618

Reaction score
I have a Droid X that i have had for a little over a year and lately it has been giving me some problems. I come here hoping some of you can either help me fix what i have or help me choose a newer phone.

I have a desk job and listen to pandora through my phone for about 8-9 hrs a day. Recently it has began to randomly shut its self off (the phone not pandora). Sometimes it will go for weeks without this happening and sometimes it will do it a few times per day. It is always as simple as turning it back on but, still very annoying.

Last friday there was a desert/offroad race that was broadcast online that i wanted to watch. So i hook my phone to a charger cable and try to watch. It would load the USTREAM video and almost instantly kick the video stream off. Sometimes i could get it to play for a few mins straight and other time only 5-10 secs. It worked better when the charge cord was unhooked but that wasnt really a option either because of battery life. I assume the phone was getting hot and that was part of the problem

What i need to know is...will rooting help any of this? Would i be better off going to the verizon store and getting a newer model.

BTW...the phone is running 2.3.3.

I am confident that with some research and a little help i can get through the rooting process but spending a bunch of time messing with my phone does not excite me. I just want the damned thing to work and quit shutting off.

THANKS!

leftspin

Reaction score
If I were you I would try doing a factory reset on your phone. It will wipe EVERYTHING off of your phone except what's on your SD card so backup your contacts first, but the apps will restore by themselves with the market and your gmail account. I can almost guarantee that this will fix your problems.

http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-faqs/410-droid-x-factory-data-reset.html

I
don't think rooting is for you if you're not into spending a bunch of time on your phone. It's not that it's a hard thing to do, it's just that rooting alone is useless unless you want to spend your time flashing ROMs and using root apps, but that doesn't seem like it's what you're looking for.

OP
M

MIKEB618

Reaction score
Ok, so i went with the factory reset but i can get my contacts back on my phone. I used the verizon backup thing and it shows all my contacts, but when i try to sync them nothing ever happens? What am i doing wrong or what do i need to do different?

Also, there was about 10gb of music on my SD card that is now gone. I guess i will be spending the evening reloading music to my phone.

OP
M

MIKEB618

Reaction score
GOT IT! i finally figured out the contacts. Sometimes i do dumb stuff and this was one of them.

Ended up just reloading the music...wasnt a huge deal since it was already on the laptop.

Now all that is left is to see how it does this week. I will report back later with a update.

leftspin

Reaction score
GOT IT! i finally figured out the contacts. Sometimes i do dumb stuff and this was one of them.

Ended up just reloading the music...wasnt a huge deal since it was already on the laptop.

Now all that is left is to see how it does this week. I will report back later with a update.

I'm not sure why anything on your SD card was touched, but glad you got it all back. Hopefully things will run smoothly for you but definitely let me know how it goes

OP
M

MIKEB618

Reaction score
Well the factory reset doesnt seem to have made any difference. Today my phone shut itself off 3 times. It always happens when pandora is playing. I wish i could make this stop. Is it possible that my phone is just getting old and is ready to be replaced?

I am really considering ordering a razr maxx and being done with it. Any opinions?

OP
M

MIKEB618

Reaction score
Are you by any chance using a task manager?

Yeah...is that good or bad? It seems to help with battery life.

It is the ADVANCED TASK KILLER. The one with the blue X.

I am at a loss...granted i dont know much about the phone but i still dont understand why it just shuts off at random?

Savagerun

Reaction score
Yeah...is that good or bad? It seems to help with battery life.

It is the ADVANCED TASK KILLER. The one with the blue X.

I am at a loss...granted i dont know much about the phone but i still dont understand why it just shuts off at random?

Leftspin is gonna tell you to get rid of the task killer and he's right. That could cause problems. You don't need it with the Android system. Uninstall it then see if that fixes it.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

leftspin

Reaction score
Leftspin is gonna tell you to get rid of the task killer and he's right. That could cause problems. You don't need it with the Android system. Uninstall it then see if that fixes it.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Ya beat me to it, Savage! Yes, uninstall that task manager as it could be the cause of your random reboot issues. Android does a very good job of killing and backgrounding tasks on its own so when you introduce another piece of software to do the same thing it causes problems

tomthbomb

Reaction score
Ya beat me to it, Savage! Yes, uninstall that task manager as it could be the cause of your random reboot issues. Android does a very good job of killing and backgrounding tasks on its own so when you introduce another piece of software to do the same thing it causes problems

Leftspin, I did that on your advice. How do I check what is running without it now and shut off seldom used apps?

Tru2Chevy

Reaction score
To check what is running you can go to Settings -> Applications -> Manage Applications, then click the "Running" tab at the top of the page. There is no need to shut off seldom used apps, as the Android OS does a pretty good job of managing running apps on it's own - and as stated above, if you try to use another app to do this you can run into trouble. Just because an app is 'running' doesn't mean that it's actively hogging up CPU cycles - generally they are just sitting dormant in memory. If you start other apps that need extra space in memory, Android will remove running apps that you aren't using from memory to make space.

- Justin

quaffapint

Reaction score
When my DX was randomly rebooting, I just replaced the battery. Ever since I haven't had any issues. Might be worth just ordering one off Amazon for like $5 or so to try it out.