New Google Smartwatch & the current (sad) state of affairs for Android Wear

OP
PereDroid

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Not sure it's news worthy enough for it's own NEWS post. More Android watches being released. Next up: New Balance.
NB-RunIQ-watch.jpg

$300.../edit/ available now direct from New Balance.

Source: Phandroid

Last edited:

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Let's see...The market is flooded with AW watches that people aren't really buying, and manufacturers aren't all on board to update to AW 2.0. Let's introduce more new watches that will have dismal sales. Brilliant!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Let's see...The market is flooded with AW watches that people aren't really buying, and manufacturers aren't all on board to update to AW 2.0. Let's introduce more new watches that will have dismal sales. Brilliant!

This.

Sent from my Pixel XL

OP
PereDroid

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Well,first off, the Primary market is no longer flooded. There are what... 4 BRAND NEW watches currently for sale today? 5 maybe? The secondary market is flooded.
But I think New Balance may be the first AW watch to be specifically marketed at runners. Check out the product page.

RunIQ - New Fitness Tracker Watch - New Balance

OP
PereDroid

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Oh, and contrary to what Phandroid said, it is available on the New Balance website. Yea, I like to shop on Amazon too, Phandroid, but there are other places to buy things.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Well,first off, the Primary market is no longer flooded. There are what... 4 BRAND NEW watches currently for sale today? 5 maybe? The secondary market is flooded.
But I think New Balance may be the first AW watch to be specifically marketed at runners. Check out the product page.

Maybe flooded was not the correct choice of words. It's hard to argue that any new watch is selling good though, I see articles all the time about poor sales. I hope I'm wrong and New Balance can sell a ton of these and get more people into the AW market. But I just don't see it happening.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Maybe flooded was not the correct choice of words. It's hard to argue that any new watch is selling good though, I see articles all the time about poor sales. I hope I'm wrong and New Balance can sell a ton of these and get more people into the AW market. But I just don't see it happening.
New Balance AW watch =$300 vs a Fitbit for as little as $100. Don't see NB dominating any time soon.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4

<><

redbert31

Diamond Member
Reaction score

I don't run, but if I did I'd check that new watch out...

OP
PereDroid

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
New Balance AW watch =$300 vs a Fitbit for as little as $100. Don't see NB dominating any time soon.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4

<><
It's a helluva lot better looking then any Fitbit

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
It's a helluva lot better looking then any Fitbit

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk
Granted that is true but price, entrenchment in the field by FB ,"Jones factor" (gotta be like others), battery life, etc will make it very hard to get a foothold. Those that don't care about any those things aren't that prevalent .

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4

<><

redbert31

Diamond Member
Reaction score
I really thought they would too... Maybe people don't see much advantage if you have to carry your phone anyway (except for the NB one that works off wifi)

Last edited:

redbert31

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Where I worked, you had to put your phone in your locker except for lunch and breaks and there was talk of not being able to use smartwatches on the production floor going forward. I only became interested once I retired in September... Maybe other businesses may think the same. I worked for a nationwide business that was bought by CVS and they're pretty big in pharmacy. I did work with many young adults who spent a lot of time playing with and getting caught with their phone on them, so management was always jumping on us about our "devices"

Last edited: