New GNex Owner - Getting CLN - Thoughts?

billyk

Reaction score
I've read the previous posts on Certified Like New (CLN) GNex's and was wondering if there are any new thoughts or experiences on the subject. Working with VZW (EXCELLENT customer service) I am switching from the Bionic and the best I could negotiate was a CLN, which I was promised would be "as new".

Has anyone recently gotten a CLN?
Thanks!

xDMONEYx

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Huawei Nexus 6P
Twitter
bentxnail
I've gotten CLNRs in the past. Not this phone, but CLNRs nonetheless. Never had any issues, and it was always because my current device was malfunctioning in some way, functioning like-new is better than not functioning, 1.5 years old. The CLNRs always looked good to me and worked just as fine as a brand new phone. I never understood peoples' beef with CLNRs.

Sent from my GNex

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
I'm sure they went over the phone pretty well and checked it. You should be fine. Btw, welcome fellow Bionic war survivor! (the war that happened around the release date!);)

alboboy10

Reaction score
Nexus CLN will be far better than a brand new bionic. Haha

Anyway even if u have a problem with it u can always switch it again. But generally they ARE like new so there shouldn't be problems.

ChevyNexus

Reaction score
Word to the wise this phone isn't a Motorola get a case.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

OP
B

billyk

Reaction score
Great feedback on CLN's and the suggestion to get a case.

Good to hear that I just might do OK with the CLN! Looking forward to it.

Regarding a case, I've got to do more research. Lots of NGex users seem to go for the "skin" type of case, and I typically favor the "pouch" type. I am open to either at this point. Gotta do some lookin'.

Reaction score
check the refurb before you send back the original. 3 refurbs they sent me were worse than the original. "double checked" my ass. one wouldn't even power on...

you can send back the refurb if it's a bad one. that's what i did. just call them so they can notate your account. :D

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
Great feedback on CLN's and the suggestion to get a case.

Good to hear that I just might do OK with the CLN! Looking forward to it.

Regarding a case, I've got to do more research. Lots of NGex users seem to go for the "skin" type of case, and I typically favor the "pouch" type. I am open to either at this point. Gotta do some lookin'.

I bought two cases and they are just collecting dust. I love this thing naked! I may slap a case on it quick if I go out to the bar or something tho. As far as it "not being built like a Moto" there is no way this phones display would crack/shatter any easier than the Bionic. Or any other phone for that matter.

alboboy10

Reaction score
I bought two cases and they are just collecting dust. I love this thing naked! I may slap a case on it quick if I go out to the bar or something tho. As far as it "not being built like a Moto" there is no way this phones display would crack/shatter any easier than the Bionic. Or any other phone for that matter.

Same exact boat as u. I hate putting cases on it I have two for it and when I'm at home my phone is wearing its birthday suit! When I go to work I put a case because I'm rushing sometimes.

Motorola build quality is just talked about a lot and commercialized to the point where I don't pay attention anymore. Motorola relies solely on built quality to sell phones. The nexus is the complete opposite of that and it actually feels like a great phone in your hand not like a tile, durable, not cheap at all. Only downside is that its slippery. That's it.

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
I never had a case but I move around too fast in general and found that I was dropping this. It's VERY slippery.

I have bought most of the available thin cases and this one wins..

Amazon.com: Samsung Galaxy Nexus Black Tpu Gel Skin Case S Line: Electronicsnd it's only $3.50.

OP
B

billyk

Reaction score
Excellent advise guys - thanks again!

I did some deep research and two other cases also surfaced to the top of my list:

- Diztronic case
- Cruzerlite Androidified A2

I'll add SSHGuru's suggestion to that list. Thanks!

Interestingly, for those that want a pouch case, and I fully appreciate your input that I might want to go "naked" once I have the GNex, there are very few good options. Sena, a great case maker, makes a beautiful pouch, but they pulled it from the market b/c it applies pressure to the on/off button.

A lot of GNexer's like this el-cheapo case:
OEM Neoprene Pouch Case For Samsung Nexus S / Galaxy S i9000 / S8530 Wave2 | eBay

Some GNexers found their way to this interesting pouch:
Smartphone Suede Jacket Cases - Droid X - Droid Incredible - HTC EVO - Google Nexus One - Google Android G1 Case - BlackBerry Bold Case - BlackBerry Curve Case - Samsung Instinct Case - LG Dare Case - Sony Ericsson Xperia - Nokia - suede sleeve - Ult

I've got my fingers crossed for the delivery of my new GNex tomorrow. Here's hopin' that it's right the first time.

Last edited:

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
...I've got my fingers crossed for the delivery of my new GNex tomorrow. Here's hopin' that it's right the first time.

Congrats and good luck with it!!

wolstonc

Reaction score
In customer care, I've heard the horror stories of clnrs. Ones that ship and are missing volume keys, the screen falls off immediately, or there is visible glue from a poor repair job. Stuff like that. Its okay when you keep sending it in until you get a good one, but sometimes you can get a bad agent who will say that your issue is an insurance issue, even if you received it like that. And once its noted in your account it makes it really hard to pressure an agent to get a decent replacement. But then again I doubt I ever got calls from people with good clnrs, just the ones with issues

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
I have definitely been fortunate with CLNR's before. Have gotten maybe a half dozen of them and had not an issue (knocks on wood and crosses fingers just in case I need to get one again).

OP
B

billyk

Reaction score
Got it.

Physically: absolutely perfect. Beautiful!! It was manufactured less than 4 weeks ago!

Functionally: absolutely perfect - so far!

This phone is really a generation (or more) beyond the Bionic.

Thanks for the input on this thread. I'll be back with questions - I am sure.