New Forum User

knightrw1110

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been an Android user since purchasing my Droid X earlier this year. Just recently rooted it, loaded Bootstrapper and am getting the nerve up to try flashing a new ROM or two. I'm 54 years old and think I'm fairly tech savvy for a late edition BabyBoomer, but muckin' with the OS on my phone still makes me a mite edgey. Any suggestions or input would be well appreciated. Thanks! :biggrin:

Bob

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Hello Bob,

Welcome to board!

I'm not familiar with Bootstrapper, but I personally used ROM Manager. It's a great app and definitely worth the purchase to get those premium ROMs.

Do not forget to make a backup!! I cannot stress that enough, I'm going to say 95% of the time everything goes smooth but when that 5% hits, it hits hard.

I tried out a couple ROMs, especially with my Droid1, but I personally run CM7 now. I'm not familiar with Droid X ROMs, but I'm sure they're all good. My best advice is try out a couple of ROMs and then settle on which one you like the most. It's a long process, but it will be worth it. And if you get bored, you can just flash another ROM.

Have fun with the different ROMs and make sure to make a backup of each. Again, welcome to the board and please don't be afraid to ask any questions. One more thing, if you could put your phone model in your profile that would help alot!:)

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
Welcome to DF!!

Something to add to dezy's post, if you are going to be flashing ROMs it is absolutely necessary while on the Droid X to make sure you are running the correct version of Android for that specific ROM or you will run into trouble. It should always be in the original post of the ROM thread but if you are not sure, ask. I am an X user and more than willing to answer for you.

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
Welcome aboard Bob! Glad to have you with us! :big smile:

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Welcome aboard. You've certainly gotten some excellent advice so far. The only thing I would add is to make absolutely sure you understand how to recover your system if everything gets fubar. I assume there is an SBF file that you flash from your computer using ADB. You need to get those files and the proper drivers and then once you are comfortable with all that, start flashing roms (while still following all the excellent advice).

Again, welcome aboard. :icon_ banana:

OP
K

knightrw1110

Reaction score
Thanks for all the kind responses. One of the things that I find a little scary is the rate of change that I see. By that I mean that I get into reviewing threads about backing up my phone prior to flashing a ROM, or what files I may need to load into my phone, and I see that the posting is dated months or in some cases even years ago. I'm running Gingerbread on my DX, with the latest latest OTA update and wonder if what I'm reading applies to my firmware.