New every 2 upgrade question...

mikeinctown

Reaction score
Ok, so like everyone else, VZW says I can upgrade after 18+ months... (not sure the exact number) My question... If my 18 months is up in July 2011 and my contract is up Dec 2011.. If I choose to upgrade in July 2011 does my contract add another 2 years from the december 2011 date, or from the July 2011 date? So basically I'm asking if I will get stuck with a phone for 30 months instead of 24 with my next phone? (do they cancel the last 4-6 months of a contract?)

I made it to my expire date on this one, but if I upgrade next time I don't want to be stuck with a contract for even longer.

OP
M

mikeinctown

Reaction score
That's strange since I have a discount to use toward a new phone of $50 now. Started at $30 back in July.

enlightened

Super Moderator
Reaction score
You have one last cycle to use it on through next year. If you don't use it before the end date you lose the discount.

roorat

Reaction score
VZW allows the new every two upgrade and discount at 20 months. This does not change your contract date. Your contract is for 24 months. My contract is set to end 03/26/12, but my new every two eligibility is 11/26/11. And, according to VZW, the new every two will go away after you use it for this year/contract. They stated that the discounts are "built in" to the price you pay for the new phone.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

OP
M

mikeinctown

Reaction score
ok, so if you get any new phone before 3/26/12, the new contract will go through 3/26/14, regardless if you get it in January?

VZW_CS

Reaction score
ok, so if you get any new phone before 3/26/12, the new contract will go through 3/26/14, regardless if you get it in January?
Your new contract will be exactly 24 months from the date you upgrade or sign your new contract. If you upgrade in January 2012, the new contract will expire January 2014. A standard upgrade is different from the New Every 2 or Annual Program. The New Every 2 gave you an additional $50.00 or $30.00 discount toward your new device. The Early Upgrade/ Annual Upgrade promotion was available to your primary line of a Family Share Plan, or any single plan over $59.99 a month or higher. (You were able to upgrade to a new phone with a 2-year discounted rate 12 months after your last upgrade, instead of 20 months.)With your next upgrade, whenever you decide to do so, it will be the last time you can redeem your Early Upgrade or New Every 2 discount. Moving forward, you will be eligible to upgrade with a discounted rate towards a new phone 20 months from your upgrade date. The New Every 2 discount of $50.00 or $30.00 (which ever you currently have), will no longer be available, as this promotion has been discontinued. Therefore, you can use it one last time if you have it available now.I trust this clarifies the difference between an upgrade, Early Upgrade, and New Every 2 discount.Thank you,VanessaC VZW_CS