Googles 18 month updates

zinethar

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8 and Note 10
So our galaxy nexus will not get 4.4 because Google only updates for 18 months??? I never really expected Verizon to do it but I had more faith in Google.We are stuck with 24 month contracts but only 18 month updates? Something very wrong here. Just remember folks that nexus 7 that made its debut in July 2012 will no longer be eligible in January - how does that feel. This is way too short!

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
I think they feel like the sooner they abandon the Galaxy the sooner everyone will forget about it. Frankly I don't blame them since Verizon is impossible to work with even without the terrible publicity.

IIGood

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S6
That's pretty much the industry standard though for these types of devices. Heck, Verizon puts them out to pasture after 10 months!

The technology for smartphones is changing so rapidly that it seems like even at the 6 month mark, your "shiny new device" that you just bought is obsolete.

..as they say, that's what the dev community is for with these. I'm debating whether or not to flash 4.4 onto my GNex since it's no longer supported in any way from the carrier or Google. I recently dropped the insurance since Asurion no longer offers the device as a replacement...I've even gone and repaired physical issues myself. Had a cracked screen about a month and a half ago...bought a replacement screen off eBay and swapped it out. Also have the vibrate module busted...have a replacement on the way currently.