new email problem? Help

jedidroid

Reaction score
I use comcast as my primary email account. Worked fine on Droid until yesterday.

Now my email account on the droid with comcast email account only loads up emails from 10/6/09 and previous? WTF? It won't load up any current email from that point forward, today etc, all unread etc.
Even If I delete them all off of the phone, it just goes back in time further and loads up emails from September?

So far I have deleted the account from the droid 2 times, restarted the droid, manually put in the pop 3 server info and nothing works. gives me the same exact emails every time...

Any ideas...this is so weird.

OP
J

jedidroid

Reaction score
ok so I went on to my comcast mail account via my PC and deleted all of the emails from those dates in october that keep appearing on the droid. now after doing that, the newer emails correctly loaded onto the droid after a refresh...

I wonder why that happened? why wouldn't it have loaded the newer emails in the first place?

Big4ce1

Reaction score
My E-mail keeps closing with a force close and can not turn it off. It just keeps poping up. Any help for this?

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
ok so I went on to my comcast mail account via my PC and deleted all of the emails from those dates in october that keep appearing on the droid. now after doing that, the newer emails correctly loaded onto the droid after a refresh...

I wonder why that happened? why wouldn't it have loaded the newer emails in the first place?

So here is how I got around that issue :). I went into my RR (personal email) settings and forwarded all my email to my gmail account.Also I left a copy on the server for my outlook at home for when I open it. This seemed to have fixed the "duplicate" issue. What I was seeing was the device was pulling everything off the server until I opened my outlook at home. Which takes days sometimes :) So no matter how many times I deleted it. It would or could get them back. This caused new emails not to be shown, Weird issue for sure but that's the best I could figure.

Anyhow the forwarding worked. The best part is GMAIL is pushed to the Droid so my email is instant now :icon_ banana:

deadernie

Reaction score
My e-mail just started constantly force-closing as well. G-mail works but force closes when trying to access my aol account. Has been working perfectly until last night.

deadernie

Reaction score
My e-mail just started constantly force-closing as well. G-mail works but force closes when trying to access my aol account. Has been working perfectly until last night.

Silver Member
Reaction score
the default email client is junk. the more items you delete, the more OLDER items you will get. it's a never-ending cycle and having had my hotmail accounts for near 15 years, i had alot of mail built up.

follow the steps in my sig to use GMAIL forwarding.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I had my phone set up not to sync with Gmail, and to check my email account every 5 minutes. It seemed to be working fine when I noticed in my All Mail on Gmail that none of the deleted mail that I was deleting on my Droid was actually going to the trash. It was going into the All Mail Folder.

It took a few minutes but I deleted the all mail folder. I noticed that there were tags on these emails saying [iMap/Trash]. Thinking that was the problem I deleted the tag. When I did this I started getting duplicate email. I then sync gmail again, which created the tag again. I left gmail sync and then set my email to check once an hour.

If I answer my email from my gmail on my Droid then delete the email it goes into the trash. However if I answer from email it's going back to the "all mail" folder if I try to delete.

Right now that's my set up. If anybody has a better idea I'd sure like to hear it. As it stands now I still get an occasional duplicate email because even though it checks only once an hour and the gmail is instantaneous, it can do a duplicate if it falls close to the one hour check point.

If anybody has an idea for a better set up I'd sure like to hear it.

Silver Member
Reaction score
I had my phone set up not to sync with Gmail, and to check my email account every 5 minutes. It seemed to be working fine when I noticed in my All Mail on Gmail that none of the deleted mail that I was deleting on my Droid was actually going to the trash. It was going into the All Mail Folder.

It took a few minutes but I deleted the all mail folder. I noticed that there were tags on these emails saying [iMap/Trash]. Thinking that was the problem I deleted the tag. When I did this I started getting duplicate email. I then sync gmail again, which created the tag again. I left gmail sync and then set my email to check once an hour.

If I answer my email from my gmail on my Droid then delete the email it goes into the trash. However if I answer from email it's going back to the "all mail" folder if I try to delete.

Right now that's my set up. If anybody has a better idea I'd sure like to hear it. As it stands now I still get an occasional duplicate email because even though it checks only once an hour and the gmail is instantaneous, it can do a duplicate if it falls close to the one hour check point.

trash is just a label. gmail's appeal is that none of your emails are ever deleted. you actually have to delete them from the trash bin to get rid of them.

gmail is all about the labels. you should be pretty much ignoring the "all mail" folder.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

trash is just a label. gmail's appeal is that none of your emails are ever deleted. you actually have to delete them from the trash bin to get rid of them.

gmail is all about the labels. you should be pretty much ignoring the "all mail" folder.

Well, I don't want to ignore the all mail folder. That's where important documents are archived to. That's why I don't understand why these deleted documents are going to All Mail instead of the trash.

Well, the way I'm working with it now they do go to the trash so I guess that's what I'll have to do.

Silver Member
Reaction score
not sure i follow. EVERYTHING goes to All Mail (by default). inbox items go to inbox, sent, sent, imap, imap, deleted, deleted, but ALL of those items exist in All Mail.

you should only be using All Mail for searches.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
not sure i follow. EVERYTHING goes to All Mail (by default). inbox items go to inbox, sent, sent, imap, imap, deleted, deleted, but ALL of those items exist in All Mail.

you should only be using All Mail for searches.

No, you're not following me. If you work right off of gmail on the web and you delete something it goes in the trash, not the all mail folder.

When you ARCHIVE an item it goes to all mail and does not go to the trash. Let's say I get something off the web and I want to keep the receipt. You then use archive. And all archived mail goes to all mail.

Now if I use my phone and use Gmail it behaves this way as well. Deleted items go to the trash. However if I use "email" on my phone then deleted mail is getting these tags and hanging around the all mail folder.

I know all sent mail goes there as well. I clean those up manually.

Don't know if that cleared things up or made them more complicated. I just would like to use just the "email" alone without using gmail OR use just gmail without using email. Doesn't seem to be a way to do this and get the results I want without using both.

Silver Member
Reaction score
still don't know why you insist on using all mail, regardless of how you're accessing your gmail account, you should only be accessing the labels (inbox, sent, etc).

gmail wasn't built for the default email app.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
still don't know why you insist on using all mail, regardless of how you're accessing your gmail account, you should only be accessing the labels (inbox, sent, etc).

gmail wasn't built for the default email app.

OK....As simple as I can put it. HOW ELSE, can you save mail? You can either just leave it in your in box or you can archive it. Archive goes to all mail.

I've had gmail for years, and this is how I've always used it. You got a better way to save mail on gmail, then tell me because I'm all ears.

Another thing. When something goes into the trash it's deleted after a certain amount of time. By deleting items and having them in all mail instead of the trash they don't get deleted. Ever. Unless you do it manually.

Silver Member
Reaction score
gmail is not built for the default email client. use the gmail client and everything will work as expected. that's all i got for ya.