new dx with 2.2 ota wont root

phatmhat

Reaction score
sorry if the answer is elsewhere but i've looked for hours and felt i might just ask. thanks in advance for anyone's help.

so i just got my dx in the mail. opened it up and then did the ota update to 2.2.

then i went to droid life and followed the instructions on how to root my phone.

i dl'd and extracted and updated sdk. then i unzipped the "dorootforwindows" zip into the "tools" folder of the sdk folder.

then i dl'd and installed the motoral usb 4.7.1 files so my droid would get seen by windows 7 32.

then i ran as admin the "doroot" bat file.

everything went without a hitch. the window on my pc said i was rooted.

i restarted my phone 3x. i can see the "superuser" program in my apps folder. but when i open it all i get is the title bar saying im in the superuser app but theres nothing else on the screen. so i click back and i go back to home.

ive tried to uninstall the superuser but it wont.

ive re rooted again and still nothing changes.

whats going on?

thanks again. :)

NoKz

Reaction score
You need to use the SBF file to put it back to 2.1. My GF's DX wouldn't root because I believe they patched the exploit in recent shipments. But using the SBF, then rooting worked.

zoo16

Reaction score
You are rooted. If you see the 'Superuser' ninja, then you have root access.

You need to download an app that requires the phone to be rooted, and then run that app. You'll see a message pop up saying the program is requesting Superuser access. After you've opened up a root app and allowed it permission, that app will be listed when you open the 'superuser' (ninja) app.

Try using 'Barnacle WiFi Tether', 'Adfree', or 'Screenshot', as they are free and you'll probably end up using them anyway.

Last edited:
OP
P

phatmhat

Reaction score
oh and yes i did put the phone in usb debugging mode and it was recognized by windows 7 as being in pc mode. win 7 32.

OP
P

phatmhat

Reaction score
thank you so much guys. saved me lots of time.

im now fiddling with titanium backup and "super fast uninstaller" - both programs taht require root.

working on uninstalling freaking skype and other bloatware.

thanks again.

OP
P

phatmhat

Reaction score
actually you guys know a great program to uninstall stock apps with?

zoo16

Reaction score
actually you guys know a great program to uninstall stock apps with?
I wouldn't uninstall those bloatware apps just yet. Some have said that it can cause problems with future updates if they aren't on the phone. I dowloaded 'Root Explorer' (costs about $1.75US) and just renamed the bloatware files from .apk to .bak

OP
P

phatmhat

Reaction score
uh uh. i uninstalled city id and blockbuster apps. ill stop now though. haha. :) thanks.

zoo16

Reaction score
Search around and I think the apks for those apps have been posted so you can get them back on the phone.

tjrulez32

Reaction score
Need your help Everyone...

Please Please Help.. Been up for 8 hours straight trying to do this. I have done every step and it just wont work... i downloaded everything exactly. run the set up and it says phone is rooted. but when i go on my phone there is no superuser ninja and nothing showing my phone is rooted... i have no idea what i am doing wrong... do you think verizon or motorola put someing in the 2.2 update to deny the root? I been researching since the ota 2.2 came out on tuesday and still nothing. PLEASE help... im sick about this...

thanks guys you guys are great here!

Daali

Reaction score
Please Please Help.. Been up for 8 hours straight trying to do this. I have done every step and it just wont work... i downloaded everything exactly. run the set up and it says phone is rooted. but when i go on my phone there is no superuser ninja and nothing showing my phone is rooted... i have no idea what i am doing wrong... do you think verizon or motorola put someing in the 2.2 update to deny the root? I been researching since the ota 2.2 came out on tuesday and still nothing. PLEASE help... im sick about this...

Stop doing the doroot batch file and do it by hand. Open the batch file and send the adb commands one at a time, or follow the adb droid x root ota 2.2(droid 2 method).
Environment variables and pathing can make the batch file falsely finish and say you are rooted.

Follow this guide for the commands. If you did not set your environment path variable for the sdk, dump everything into your adb directory.
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-x-hacks/82584-droid-2-root-dx-ota-2-2-a.html

I stopped after rooting, I did not follow the rest of the guide with the deodex/bootstrap, etc.

928Droid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.928gt.com

Stop doing the doroot batch file and do it by hand. Open the batch file and send the adb commands one at a time, or follow the adb droid x root ota 2.2(droid 2 method).
Environment variables and pathing can make the batch file falsely finish and say you are rooted.

Follow this guide for the commands. If you did not set your environment path variable for the sdk, dump everything into your adb directory.
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-x-hacks/82584-droid-2-root-dx-ota-2-2-a.html

I stopped after rooting, I did not follow the rest of the guide with the deodex/bootstrap, etc.

Agree, Do the Droid2 Root method... I have done it on 3 OTA 2.2 updated Droid Xs this week. Took 5 minute on each one.....

OH, I cheat, I don't type that stuff... I just copy and paste the commands...it take less time (for me, slow inaccurate typer) AND 0% chance of typing command errors.

Do your self a favor, copy and paste the commands form that thread into a WordPad or your fav TXT editor and save the file as "Root Instuctions" (or whatever) in the Droid2Root folder you create for the other files. It will always be there even if you don't have a net connection... and is easy to cut and paste from. I just open The ADB Command screen on side and the txt file on the other of my screen and click away....simple.

OH, also get and install the free PowerCmd app off the web, it allows real pasting instead of the clunky way with Windows Command app. Saves time and reduces chance of errors. PowerCmd - A Better Command Prompt Replacement Tool

Last edited:

joeLENN1012

Reaction score
My OTA wont update right either. I had easy root changed bloatware to .bak and themed swype with mm but other than that nothing else was done...Now I cannot install the ota properly. I changed the bloatware back and still no luck...Any suggestions?

928Droid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.928gt.com
OH, also the guys who did the Droid 2 Root method (which is brilliant) left out one command line that should be done... They forgot to set permisison on the Superuser.apk I have noticed it still works OK, but should be done correctly in case of issues later.

Add this BEFORE the command line for mounting the system back (what was "23", I changed to step 24 in this example)..addition is in Red.

Like so ...
22. chmod 4755 /system/bin/busybox
23 chmod 644 /system/app/Superuser.apk
24. mount -o ro,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system