New DX replacement: I only get one shot at this (plz help)

kwest12

Reaction score
New replacement DX: I only get one shot at this (plz help)

As some of you may know I recently lost my Droid X and was not able to recover it. I just received my replacement Droid X. Sometimes when switching from ROM to ROM the Google servers wouldn't download the apps that I had installed prior to wiping but I was never able to figure out why. It really wasn't an issue before since I always had nandroids and Titanium Backup, etc. This time things are different.

I fear that I only have one shot to startup my phone and get it to recognize my account and install all the apps properly and regain all my contacts. That said, I obviously have other things to consider. If this phone is on anything prior to .621 I sure as heck want to save my self a headache and keep it there!

I would like some suggestions about how to proceed. The most important thing to me is that I get my apps, contacts and any other data the Google servers remember onto my phone.

Second most important is either keeping it off of the .621 update, or if I can't do that, at least give myself to opportunity to create a nandroid safety net that has all my contacts, apps, data, etc before attempting rooting/ROMing again.

I'd appreciate advice.

tl;dr
I lost my phone and need to be 100% sure I get my new phone to download all the contact info and apps that I had synced with the Google servers. If I can prevent the system from updating to .621 (assuming it's not already on it) I'd say that's a very close second priority. Please provide suggestions.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
If you use a gmail address to sign into the phone then you shouldn't have an issue.

If you want to make sure everything is sync'd I would suggest logging into your gmail address on a computer and verify the contacts are all there. If so, you should be able to sign in and it should resync to the new phone.

The apps won't necessarily do this while unrooted. Your purchased apps will still show but not download automatically. However, if you go to the Play Store on your phone, you should select the My Apps, after pressing the Menu key, and slide over to the "All" section which should show every app you've *ever* installed on your phone.

The phone may be on 621 when you get it, so nothing doing there, but if not, I'll let someone who knows more about the X chime in.

leftspin

Reaction score
Like guidot said as long as you have everything set to sync with your gmail account you won't have any problem re-syncing it with the new phone. All you have to do is login to the gmail account when the new device arrives, either when you first set it up or later under "Accounts and Sync Settings."

If it comes with anything pre-.621, you'll of course be able to root using the D3 one click method. If it comes with .621 you'll have to SBF to a Milestone X build to root/ROM (if necessary, we'll cross that bridge when we get to it. It isn't difficult but no need to cover it here). Either way you'll be able to root/ROM the phone if you choose to.