I killed my Droid X....didn't I?

Waterdude

Reaction score
Pardon the newbie here...I've seen lots of posts on this but I am still lost. Here's my problem:
Droid X...18 months old...crashed last night and then would only boot to the M (red for Gingerbread)
Cannot Factory reset (no button combos work)
Did get to bootloader, and then sbfed using .621
Would not boot past M, still can not reset
DUMB PART - tried to sbf with older version...could not boot, back to bootloader, new error, then SBFed with .621 again
Back to square 1...or I should say red M

I am thinking paperweight at this point...out of warranty, too expensive to repair, too expensive to replace, so desperate for any help
Do not know how to use Linux...never rooted a phone and don't know why I would...

Any help at all?

Thanks!

The drowning Waterdude::blink:

newmanx4

Reaction score
Usually after an SBF you need to factory reset to get the phone to boot. Pull the battery, replace, then from off hold Home + Power. That should get you to stock recovery where you can perform the reset.

By the way, once you've been on .621 you cannot SBF to any previous versions.

Sent from my AOKP'd DROID X

Last edited:
OP
W

Waterdude

Reaction score
Usually after an SBF you need to factory reset to get the phone to boot. Pull the battery, replace, then from off hold Home + Power. That should get you to stock recovery where you can perform the reset.

By the way, once you've been on .621 you cannot SBF to any previous versions.

Thanks for the advice...but...as I mentioned, I could not/cannot get to factory reset, only bootloader, and I did the bad and tried to SBF to a prior version with the SBF with .621 did not work.

I still have a brick. Any other way out of this?

Thanks!

Waterdude

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
if you cant boot into recovery i would say its dead in water ..are the physical buttons broke on phone or just non responsive?

newmanx4

Reaction score
How did you perform the SBF to .621? Using RSD Lite?

OP
W

Waterdude

Reaction score
I did use the latest version of rsd lite...seemed to work ok...did receive the PASS indication...and after my stupidity of trying to SBF with previous versions, and bootloader showed error, I sbfed again with .621 using RSD lite and got back to square 1, which is a good bootloader message but no ability to factory reset, and hung on the infamous M

leftspin

Reaction score
It hangs on the M logo? Usually after an SBF it will bootloop at the boot animation, this makes me think something else might be going on during flashing that's causing your problem

OP
W

Waterdude

Reaction score
It's Working!!!

Button mashing...tens of battery removals...and reflash with .621. Suddenly, for no apparent reason, I was able to reset and resurrect. So...if you do try to go backwards from .621 and find you have bricked the phone, it can be salvaged. I did reflash again with .621 using the latest RSD Lite, but it took many, many, many attempts to resurrect. I even went to the Verizon folks who said it was dead and tried to sell me a new phone at full retail. As if.

Anyway, I can't give specific advice except to do the flash as described on this forum, and then keep trying and failing until you finally have your own personal phone Easter. (sorry if the religious reference offends...that's just me)

I want to thank those here who have sympathized, empathized, and tried to offer encouragement. The bottom line is the only thing that really works is persistence and the belief that if you can get the phone to display the M, the phone is physically operable but you have to keep trying until the firmware/OS finally makes it way to the hallowed ground of operability.

Ah...the Droid X lives!

Waterdude dancedroid :icon_ banana:dancedroid

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
glad you got it fixed