New Droids suck.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Have an X here and could care less if the bootloader ever gets unlocked....Phone runs fine without it.

It's funny seeing people complain about what a company does with their product...It's simple, If you don't like it, don't buy it.....

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
Have an X here and could care less if the bootloader ever gets unlocked....Phone runs fine without it.

It's funny seeing people complain about what a company does with their product...It's simple, If you don't like it, don't buy it.....
This is how I feel about the upcoming Droid Pro,(which will be my next device) in a sense it will be a relief to not always be on edge waiting for the next ROM to be put out or this.apk doesn't work with this theme, or being stuck in a bootloop and having to restore/backup :icon_evil: I will be satisfied with the stock 1.3ghz and everything else Motorola can pack under the hood, it has been a blast with my Original Droid but it is time to sit back and let Motorola, with everything they have learned from us, (the Hacking Community) do the work for once and me just enjoy it

The stock DX looks so much better than the Original Droid and the D2 is even better, if the Droid Pro becomes a reality I am sure it will follow suite

tehpriest

Reaction score

This is how I feel about the upcoming Droid Pro,(which will be my next device) in a sense it will be a relief to not always be on edge waiting for the next ROM to be put out or this.apk doesn't work with this theme, or being stuck in a bootloop and having to restore/backup :icon_evil: I will be satisfied with the stock 1.3ghz and everything else Motorola can pack under the hood, it has been a blast with my Original Droid but it is time to sit back and let Motorola, with everything they have learned from us, (the Hacking Community) do the work for once and me just enjoy it

The stock DX looks so much better than the Original Droid and the D2 is even better, if the Droid Pro becomes a reality I am sure it will follow suite

You should try being a non USA customer. You do not realise just how restricted you are until you experience it. We have been waiting since launch for a phone that does not restart itself multiple times daily. And that is just one of many bugs. We are nowhere near getting 2.2 and have not even as yet all received the latest 2.1 bug fix patch. You are able to look to the dev community for fix's and even complete stable ROMs, we cannot (and now neither can you) because of the locked bootloader. Nine months and it has still not been cracked and probably never will be.

Trust Motorola if you want but get ready to be ignored when you have a problem because I am sure your words will come back and bite your ass.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
You should try being a non USA customer. You do not realise just how restricted you are until you experience it.

Trust Motorola if you want but get ready to be ignored when you have a problem because I am sure your words will come back and bite your ass.
Well if I do trust and get bit, that will surely be on me, and as always our developer community is one of the best. It is disconcerting the state of the overseas/milestone users, I have friends and family in Germany who deal with the same issues, but the stock American Devices do not have restarting problems and if so it is branded as defective and returned...it is not untill we start to Delve into the Rooting and O/Cing aspect of it that we get random reboots. Hopefully it improves all around as time goes on, Android itself is still in somewhat of a Beta and we are all but mere testers

tp

REARless

Reaction score
You also know that you can run Launcher Pro Plus and completely hide the MotoBlur crap. I am rooted, running Launcher Pro Plus and I have disabled a lot of the bloatware apks.

Removing the Bloat

I have the Droid X and am loving the screen and the built in Swype. Then again I am hoping we get a vanilla Froyo ROM on this soon.

tehpriest

Reaction score
To be brutally honest over this side we WOULD be better off buying iPhones. The principle is the same. Locked out of the OS but at least with Apple they give definite dates for upgrades and definite fixes for problems and even if they do not admit there is a problem they still fix it. And this is what you all have to look forward to....

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
[

Seriously? The X already has an alternate recovery in place, so the custom ROM's are literally right around the corner. It can already be overclocked, and there are 3 major themes available for it, I've already had nextheme on mine and now it has 928's Black Glass theme. It's only a matter of time (and not much time at that) until the devs have vanilla Android running on it and it will most likely have 2.2 before the official update comes from Verizon. The encrypted bootloader and blur piss me off too, but lets give our devs credit for the accomplishments they have achieved on this phone instead of acting like nothing has been done lol.

So true. But nobody gets around to reading the important stuff. I plan on buying a Droid 2 in just a few weeks. Personally I just want a Droid that I don't have to go in and hack away at. If they crack the bootloader, more power to them but people are going to buy new Droids. The majority of people do not hack their Droids. My brother won't, my wife won't, and even I don't want to (but I do).

Bateluer

Reaction score
Having an open boot loader does not force you to hack your phone. It merely allows you to do so, if you choose to. The Droid 1@stock is about use usable as the Droid X and Droid 2 are, except you have the option to install a custom ROM, kernel, or whatever. You may choose to do it for fun, or you may choose to do it to fix bugs and issues that Motorola and Verizon won't.

And unfortunately, installing ADW or Launcher Pro does not get rid of Blur. If you actually remove Blur, you brick the device until you replace those apks with ADB. That crap is still there.

My comments were directed at the individuals who've bought a Droid X and then promptly go to the various boot loader threads at multiple forums and sites to complain about. You knew perfectly well it had an encrypted boot loader when you bought it. You knew perfectly well it was going to take the community time to fully open it up. And yet, people still choose to buy it and complain about it.

As an aside, I know plenty of people who own Droid 1's who don't root or ROM in any way and believe their phones to be running perfectly fine. Of course, mine gets double the battery life of theirs, more than double the performance, no bloatware at all, has extended features and capabilities, has more options to fix a misbehaving app than just a battery pull, and has a wide range of backup capabilities to restore any replacement Droid 1 in a matter of minutes. But hey, the stock Droid 1 works fine, right? The point is, you don't know what the device is capable of unless you are given the option to tinker with it, to break it, to repair it, etc. And for that, you actually have to own the device, not merely rent it as you are with the Droid X and Droid 2.

Last edited:

AlphaMack

Reaction score
I, for one, will not be buying an Android phone with a locked boot loader. Once you've experienced the custom ROMs, there's no way you can ever go back. It is very disappointing that Moto is taking this route.

This.

I got fed up with the Froyo tease VZW is playing and crossed over to the dark side. I'm playing around with CM and loving it.

Hiroller173

Reaction score
While I appreciate the skills of the developers, I wouldn't assume that they'll be able to create ROMs for devices when the product engineers make a concerted effort to prevent it.

Some future hack might require replacing the physical ROM, and I doubt too many of us have the skills to unsolder and resolder a surface mount chip...

It'd be great if one of the devs would comment on what's stopping them and their expectations (not an ETA!) :)

bd1212

Reaction score
About 3 weeks ago, I got a Droid X in place for my D1. I was immediately happy with it, but the more I used it, the more frustrated I became with the "It's not MOTOBLUR but has 90% of the features" User-Interface.

Multiple permanent shortcuts in the Launcher Drawer to take you to the same application. Some of these shortcuts won't let you do what the others do. For example, if you tap Dialer and try to edit a contact, it wont let you. You have to exit out and tap Contacts to do that. Also, the BLOAT. Even MORE permanent pre-packaged apps on the phone that I DO NOT WANT OR NEED. The new Gallery sucks compared to the 3D D1 version, and the texting is really lame compared to D1 Froyo, along with the call volume & ringtone volume being so soft I can barely hear it compared to my D1. To top all of this off, it has a locked bootloader, so as of yet, theming it COMPLETELY isnt possible.

I returned my Droid X on August 10th completely. Then thought to myself, "I'll just wait until the Droid 2 comes out, and go with that. Surely that BLUR UI is only on the Droid X." NOPE. D2 comes with the "It's not MOTOBLUR but has 90% of the features" User-Interface.

Is anyone else made as a pink goat about this? I'm so angry with it, and it's a good thing I love my D1 to death, 'cause I'm sticking with it until that BLUR UI goes away in future phones.

Just to let all of you know, you DON'T HAVE TO USE BLUR. You can easily just go into Android Market and download another Launcher such as ADW Launcher, LauncherPro, etc. and blur will be no more. Also, about the texting, you can easily go into Android Market and get a message app like Handcent which you can use instead of using the stock messaging.

So yeah, everything you basically hated about the Droid 2 and Droid X can be change.

So, in conclusion, you really shouldn't have returned them without looking into removing blur or finding other messaging applications.

So, I'll make it easy for people who do not want to read this entire post:

If you hate blur - Download a custom launcher such as ADW Launcher or LauncherPro from Android Market.

If you hate the messaging application that is pre-loaded on the phone - Go into Android Market and download Handcent. This will replace the stock messaging app and has loads of awesome features.

I hope I helped. ;)

EDIT: Found this pic showing a Droid X with Clockwork Mod Recovery running on it. Take this as proof that custom ROM's are right around the kernel, and like I've already said, if you don't want to wait for the custom ROM's, then just download a custom Launcher from the Market.

clockwork-droid-x-448x600.jpg

Last edited:

Mule65

Reaction score

Lol. I always consider the number of posts a commenter has to verify their credibility.

OP
P

pluginxbabyy

Reaction score
Just to let all of you know, you DON'T HAVE TO USE BLUR. You can easily just go into Android Market and download another Launcher such as ADW Launcher, LauncherPro, etc. and blur will be no more. Also, about the texting, you can easily go into Android Market and get a message app like Handcent which you can use instead of using the stock messaging.

So yeah, everything you basically hated about the Droid 2 and Droid X can be change.

So, in conclusion, you really shouldn't have returned them without looking into removing blur or finding other messaging applications.

So, I'll make it easy for people who do not want to read this entire post:

If you hate blur - Download a custom launcher such as ADW Launcher or LauncherPro from Android Market.

If you hate the messaging application that is pre-loaded on the phone - Go into Android Market and download Handcent. This will replace the stock messaging app and has loads of awesome features.

I hope I helped.

LP is great, and I used it on the X. I also tried out Handcent [which I never liked in the first place, but that's personal preference]. Fact is, you still have multiple roads to the same place with Blur, volume that isnt up to par, stock android apps that seem downgraded in quality and user-friendliness, and to top it off, I have to stare at a default Android 2.1 UI after having things like DarkEdge & Bugless rEVOlution on my D1.

The point is, you don't know what the device is capable of unless you are given the option to tinker with it, to break it, to repair it, etc. And for that, you actually have to own the device, not merely rent it as you are with the Droid X and Droid 2

+1. It's my phone; I bought it. Shouldn't I be allowed full control over what I do with it?

accellpo

Reaction score
The DX is great! A lot of you people sound flat out stupid! Blur is just a launcher for the most part. If you don't like it, and I do, then don't use it. I use ADW sometimes with about TEN different themes! It is Android so you have a choice. OMG the DX it wipes the floor with the D1 in every aspect. Especially RAM! You all sound like jealous haters. Root has already been achieved but why bother. I rooted my D1 to make up for the many weaknesses. The DX doesn't need it. I just want Froyo and i'm good. And please shut up about bloatware! THE DX HAS 8GB OF INTERNAL STORAGE!! The preloaded apps mean nothing! Sorry for the rant but the ignorance of people irritates me. This phone is awesome!