New Droid user with networking question...

waverz

Reaction score
First off I would like to say I am a total Droid newb. I recently dropped my broadband internet provider and decided I could live with 3g speeds for the time being.

As soon as I turned on my Nexus One I was hooked. Like most electronic gadgets I own I look forward to hacking the snot out of this device but before I start with that I had a networking question.

I just got my phone setup as a hotspot which is great for my PC's and peripherals that are wireless but what about the wired stuff? Is it possible to use my current wireless router (Linksys WRT54G) and wired network along with my hotspot somehow? Basically instead of having a cable modem supply my router I would like to have my phone supply the router, wireless.

Is that even possible? I have DD-WRT installed on my router but am not sure how to go about setting it up.

Any help would be great. Like I said, I don't even know if it's possible but it would be great if my other 5 pc's could at least have some sort of internet access w/o having to install wireless cards in all of them.

Thanks!

harrellj

Reaction score
Its not possible as far as I'm aware. Routers aren't coded (even with using DD-WRT or Tomato) to accept that sort of signal. Also, be warned, AT&T is apparently starting to crack down on tethering.

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Just to be clear, phone hotspots arnt techncally the same kind of signal as your wifi. I am pretty sure its ad-hoc which many devices support but not everything does. using this feature as a home replacement is a horible idea. Im not gonna lie, its a cool feature but really not intended to work like that. Pending on your connection speed, mine is 1mb/s, split up to several pc's it will be bad. Also your phone is not as good a a reuter is as well. Mine will do up to 5 but it wont do it happily. Your going to be playing with lots of glitches and lots of maitance. My phone will be hot after a couple hours, i cant imagine how long it would last if it were on for days. Expect to go through a couple phones, and lastly haha, This is a challenge so i will still answer your question. Thats a no on the reuter. They are set up to get their connection from a ethernet, not a usb. i think their is a special verizon reuter that uses a usb but... have fun with that. A different can o beans their. To answer your question this is a TOTAL maybe, and im doing this half a sleep but MAYBE You could have a old netbook or laptop something with an ethernet port and a usb do a shared connection. Share your connection to the "ethernet in" on the reuter. Maybe then your reuter could act normally and just to be clear for my vison on this: Wired-tether app to Old netbook, share connection then the connection would go into reuter in. go here: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-faq/49287-how-let-ps3-run-off-3g.html it will explain connection sharing. Basically its the same as in post just instead of ps3 its your reuter. If you dont have an old netbook then please tell me every potentail source that a conection could be made... like an old desktop or something.

OP
W

waverz

Reaction score
So after some research figured out how to do it, and it works well. It's not broadband but it works. I did it using linksys router and a custom firmware call dd wrt. All you need to do is put it in repeater mode. It not only repeats the wifi signal it gives the rest of your l a n internet as well. I am usually only using 1 device at a time so the phone doesn't get too hot.

I really miss my broadband this is going to have to work for now.

Sent from my Nexus One using DroidForums