Wifi Questions

windchill

Reaction score
The school I am at made me take down my wireless router connected into their network for security reasons. No big deal at the time but now that I have the Droid, wireless sync, remote capabilities, and other options would be really nice. Is there a way to set up a wireless network through the router, without actually being connected to the network, so that I could still have access to all those features? I did a preliminary try on this but my router is not cooperating, so I am trying to figure out whether it is worth investing in another router to enable these features.

harrellj

Reaction score
Any router should work, just don't plug it in to the WAN. The big problem is getting it to communicate with your computer. If your Droid is connected via wireless to the router, the router will need to be connected via LAN to the computer... which will also want to be connected to the school network and Windows doesn't play nicely on 2 simultaneous networks without a lot of fuss.

OP
W

windchill

Reaction score
Also a few other questions, I have tried searching for the answers to them and can't dig them up yet:
1. I have seen a few sites indicate that proxy access is possible on a rooted droid. True? Which ROM's?
2. Is there a good guide to some of the wireless capabilities with the droid? Sync from computer to Droid and vice versa? Stream files from computer?
3. If I don't have network running through my router, could I connect through the computer (local) and then on the the network?

OP
W

windchill

Reaction score
Any router should work, just don't plug it in to the WAN. The big problem is getting it to communicate with your computer. If your Droid is connected via wireless to the router, the router will need to be connected via LAN to the computer... which will also want to be connected to the school network and Windows doesn't play nicely on 2 simultaneous networks without a lot of fuss.
So if I understand this correctly, set up router with no network cable to it. Connect computer and droid to wireless network, and it should work? Or does the computer need to be cabled in to the router? (only one LAN port on my computer, thus no internet on the laptop, thus not worth it)

harrellj

Reaction score
Correct, you can have both the computer and the droid connected via wireless with no network cable plugged into the router. HOWEVER (and this is the important part), if you do so, the computer will not communicate over the network via a cable at the same time.