New Droid 3 Update (Version 5.6.890) Rolling Out Now; Google Talk With Video & More

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
droid3-update3-sept-2011.jpg

There is a new update, version 5.6.890, rolling out now for the Droid 3. The update brings with it a number of bug fixes and improved battery life, but it also brings some added functionality. The primary new added feature is Google Talk with Video. In order to grab the update now, go into Settings>About phone>System updates. Enjoy!

Source: Droid-Life

dragonfly1113

Reaction score
do you know if you have to be stock and unrooted? in order for this to work? i tried it last night and it failed after rebooting to the software install page (page with the box and the android guy) it just went away and than booted up all the way and said that the upgrade failed.

Thanks.

keklar

Reaction score
Thanks for the heads-up! REALLY looking forward to better battery life :)

popeyeamac

Reaction score
I was able to download the new Ota with root and keptroot after the update

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Weird...I've had mine for 2 weeks, and had Google Talk with video for at least 1 of those 2 weeks. Could mine have shipped with the update? (It's not rooted yet, btw). I can say for sure I never woke up to find it announcing an update. I'm pretty sure one didn't get installed while I've had it.

Oh, I checked and yep the version number is 5.6.890. FWIW it's worth I get AMAZING battery life. Some days I go home and still have 80% left.

-Matt

NoBloatware

Reaction score
Weird...I've had mine for 2 weeks, and had Google Talk with video for at least 1 of those 2 weeks. Could mine have shipped with the update?

Yes, I've seen one or more other people saying that some new phones already have the update on them.

solar

Reaction score
do you know if you have to be stock and unrooted? in order for this to work? i tried it last night and it failed after rebooting to the software install page (page with the box and the android guy) it just went away and than booted up all the way and said that the upgrade failed.

Thanks.
I was able to update just fine with a rooted, stocke rom D3. The update did bnreak my root however. Going to re-root shortly.

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Yea let me delete that, meant to post something else, which I can't get into yet .. my bad :)
You are a BIG, FAT TEASE!!! Yeah, sure, just leave us in double-suspense. :(

So hey I'm almost 14 days into my Radio Shack 30-day return period. Can you at least PM me the thing, and I'll SWEAR not to share it???

-Matt

pinback

Reaction score
I keep getting the "software update failed" too. I'm rooted and I've seen lots of people update with root. What is the deal!?

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

adipose

Reaction score
I keep getting the "software update failed" too. I'm rooted and I've seen lots of people update with root. What is the deal!?

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

When you delete the bloatware, instead of deleting, move the file to something else:

Code:
$mv Blockbuster.apk Blockbuster.apk.dis

Then, before updating, move it back:

Code:
$mv Blockbuster.apk.dis Blockbuster.apk

Motorola will not update unless EVERY SINGLE bloatware is still on the device. This has been true since Droid2, at least.