New Discovery Doubles The Capacity Of Lithium-ion Batteries!

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

We have seen advancement after advancement in cell phones until we have finally hit a wall. It seems that year after year cell phones get slightly more powerful than last year. Upgrading your device year after year is becoming a thing of the past. The most powerful computer you have these days is the PC in your pocket. The one spec that has pretty much stayed the same year after year even while other specs have seen minor bumps is battery life. For the past several years battery life on cell phones has been nearly a full day. The only way OEMs have been able to keep the battery life in line with the improved CPUs and displays is to make the batteries bigger. As batteries have grown so have phone sizes. Now it is normal for a phone to have a 5-6" display.

A recent MIT discovery doubles the capacity of lithium-ion batteries. SolidEnergy Systems developed a solution which can actually be used with lithium-metal. Lithium metal can finally be used in place of graphite without the battery overheating and catching fire! This results in a battery that is twice as powerful as those using graphite. The technology may be available in cell phones and other products as early as next year! This could mean that electric cars can go twice as far on a charge, cell phones can be smaller, and battery life in products may be longer. Do you think this will be the next big thing in tech? Does this seem to good to be true?

via business insider

Briankbl

Reaction score
We hear about new battery tech all the time, but this stuff sometimes takes years and years to actually implement into a consumer product. I'm tired of hearing about all these battery enhancements. Give them to us already lol!

S-pen'd from my Note 7!

Narsil

Silver Member
Reaction score
...The most powerful computer you have these days is the PC in your pocket...

I keep hearing statements like these but my 2009 desktop, which was not a screaming gamer, has dramatically more processing power and memory than any smartphone on the market.

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note10+ 5G
It would be nice to see battery life that could give your smartphone 3-4 days. Now that is what should be the focus going forward. We don't need Octo Core cpu @ 3GHz w/ 8GB Ram and a 4K Display. Picture the most powerful device out and getting 3-4 day battery life under moderate heavy use. It would probably be like the New Droid Force with the Battery Pack Mod, only normal thickness.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I keep hearing statements like these but my 2009 desktop, which was not a screaming gamer, has dramatically more processing power and memory than any smartphone on the market.
I laughed when I heard those as well.

My PC from 2006 runs faster than any smartphone.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I laughed when I heard those as well.

My PC from 2006 runs faster than any smartphone.

I agree in principle here that these pocket PCs as we're calling them, are not as powerful as many home desktops. What we are not considering is that there are not many home desktop PCs that have a 21MP camera, Accelerometers, Magnetometers, Compasses, GPS, Near Field and Bluetooth Low Energy Communications, a TELEPHONE, fully Wireless Cellular data communications, and although laptops have them, desktops don't have batteries either.

So in other words, the question is what does powerful mean? If powerful means processing power, then yes the desktops certainly have it. However if powerful means being able to perform many many unique functions and under many unique circumstances the phones have it in that realm.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

jkaod

Gold Member
Reaction score
Considering their size, current smart phones are pretty powerful and versatile little buggers. I certainly can't stuff my desktop computer in my pocket and run to the store...well, I could but the girls might look at me funny.
I'm certainly excited to see improvements in battery life.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I certainly can't stuff my desktop computer in my pocket and run to the store...well, I could but the girls might look at me funny.
They might not look at you funny...they might look at you with with adoration!

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note10+ 5G
Comparing Smartphone CPUs to Desktop CPUs isn't fair in any which way shape or form in terms of Performance. Considering the Power Consumption or mobile Device Processors its would not be fair.

Last edited:

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I agree in principle here that these pocket PCs as we're calling them, are not as powerful as many home desktops. What we are not considering is that there are not many home desktop PCs that have a 21MP camera, Accelerometers, Magnetometers, Compasses, GPS, Near Field and Bluetooth Low Energy Communications, a TELEPHONE, fully Wireless Cellular data communications, and although laptops have them, desktops don't have batteries either.

So in other words, the question is what does powerful mean? If powerful means processing power, then yes the desktops certainly have it. However if powerful means being able to perform many many unique functions and under many unique circumstances the phones have it in that realm.

Power to me means getting what I want/need done quickly and easily. It's why I use a phablet sized phone 99% of the time, .8% my tablet and the other .2% of the time the big machines only when absolutely needed.
My phone is more efficient, relatively, than my families laptops in that I get more usage time between plug in times. What I want is to not have to plug in my powerful phone anymore often than I used to have to do with my dumbphones, every couple of days with liberal usage of all they were capable of. If this becomes the norm that day will arrive but I fear that ,as usual, as batteries and processors become more efficient the manufacturers will inevitably just make phones with smaller batteries to reach their insatiable desire for paper thin devices.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4

<><