New Apple Patent is Proof Positive that the USPTO Does Not Know What They Are Doing

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
doomsday-launched.jpeg

If this next bit of news doesn't get you disgusted at the United States Patent and Trademark Office, and the general state of the Patent System in the U.S., then you may just be too calloused by all the negative patent news we have had for the last three years. (We wouldn't blame you) Still, regardless of your relative level of outrage regarding this story, we thought it was worth reporting that Apple has just been granted what could be the most damaging and powerful smartphone patent of them all. In fact, the folks at Phandroid called it, " the mother of all smartphone software patents," and it could potentially be abused by Apple to lock out practically every other smartphone in existence.

This new patent (No. 8,223,134) basically covers the graphical user interfaces Apple designed for blogging, email, telephone, camera, video player, calendar, browser, widgets, search, notes, maps and other multi-touch interfaces. The patent's scope is so broad that it could be the "thermonuclear" weapon that Apple might finally launch against their competitors. In fact, the patent is so vague and all-encompassing it could potentially allow Apple to go after developers of apps and other smartphone platforms.

apple_patent_super_weapon.jpeg

Despite how horrifying this news could potentially be, perhaps it is a blessing in disguise. If Apple does decide to "push the button" on this doomsday device, it might be the final straw that will draw enough attention to just how trashed the U.S. Patent system has become. In fact, Apple may even foresee this and it may cause them to hesitate to use it. What do you think will happen?

Source: Phandroid

Kboss375

Reaction score
By using this patent, and getting other devices banned..maybe all of them... isn't that creating a monopoly?

TheSwaggeR

Reaction score
By using this patent, and getting other devices banned..maybe all of them... isn't that creating a monopoly?

Yep. Look at what Microsoft tried to do a decade or so ago. It backfired on them. Apple would be very stupid to try to wipe out competition if they attempted such foolishness.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Bullitt6996

Reaction score
Apple's Patent addictions

Wow, after reading this, I can only say I can't wait for them to try and push it on someone looking for money or a trade/import ban. That's only going to land them and the patent office in a massive Anti Trust case with the Dept of Justice. lol

IIGood

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S6
Kboss375 said:

YES. I feel they've been trying to do this all along yet nobody has taken notice this time around? Again...remember the Microsoft debacle??

I want to patent something so vague just so I can sue Apple. Maybe the color white.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
The legal and patent system here is completely ignorant of technology. Both really need to be revised to meet up with the times, because a lot of companies are abusing the ignorance, and it's not fair to people.

rowdyguy124

Reaction score
Apple please use this in court asap so it can be ripped apart along with the patent system as a whole. There is no way that any of these companies should be allowed to patent these simple ideas. Especially when they have been used for years prior to the patent application.

monkespit

Reaction score
Of course they are gonna use it. That's why they applied for the patent in the first place. They are hopefully too encompassed in their own thermonuclear waste they see nothing wrong with using it to ban any electronic touch type device. Watch out Magellan and nook and everyone else.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
There is so much previous use of this, how was it even awarded? My 2 year old DroidX did this and this patent was only filed 4 months ago. There is no way it could stand up in court anyways.

nikecar

Reaction score
no matter what the landscape is if and when Apple uses this, I will never own an Apple product. I will steer any person I know from Apple.

Caesars

Reaction score
Not sure what the people with touchscreen computers from years ago will think about this. Probably "why didn't i think to do this " lol

Googorola MAXX

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
Ridiculous. You'd think Apple was the first manufacturer on the planet to build a smartphone. Surely Microsoft and Palm have patents to some of this stuff that outdates Apple's patent by years, no? This, to me, is like Ford patenting "a self propelled device to transport people from one place to another, with 4 circular ground interface devices (wheels) and a way to change direction of travel (steering) and a way to come to a stop (brakes)"

cjreyes666

Reaction score
so i guess next they will patent oxygen and will start charging everyone to breathe if not they let those die.

drhrr

Reaction score
Let me go ahead and patent a bitten Apple and sue Apple cause it was my idea to patent it... No wait, they must have the patent on inventing Apples so I can't...

Seriously this is just demostrating how childish the company is. Sad to see how much they are putting into the pan while knowing that it can potentially destroy them. Stave Jobs (R.I.P.) indeed had a vendetta against Google/Android (which translates into all other smartdevices that are not iPhone/iPad), but its so obvious that the board of directors is showing their greedy side now that he is no longer there to keep the fight "prudent".

I hope they will have a broader idea of what will come if they push the button, this is not only potentially dangerous for them, but for the entire software/hardware development, which isn't just for smartdevices, its for every single thing that has even been developed just because they can't share the playground with other kids...