Nervous! Please Advise!!

nooter99

Reaction score
Let me start by saying, I'm an old guy with very limited knowledge about smartphone technology, so bear with me.
My one year old Bionic (stock) turned itself into a brick a few days ago. Battery went dead, put it on the charger for awhile, when I tried to boot it up it wouldn't get past the red Motorola symbol and would not turn off without a battery pull. After an entire day of trying different things that I found all over the internet, I had no luck getting the phone to operate, could not get past the Moto symbol. So I said screw it and bought a new/used one off of ebay. Phone will be arriving today.

So. here's what I'm nervous about. New phone comes with an SD card, but I would rather use the one from the old phone so I don't lose all the data thats on there. But then I started thinking, what if I put the old SD card into the new phone and it bricks the phone!! Is that even possible?? Could the old phone have been bricked by something on the SD card? It's mostly pictures and some videos that I'm trying to save. Are they even stored on the SD card? Or am I way off base here?

I know that all my apps and whatnot are recoverable from my google account, but what about recovering all theses pics and videos?

Any advice and/or guidance would be greatly appreciated

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
If you have an sd card reader, you could transfer your files to a computer. Then put them on the new phone. Or, transfer the files, wipe the sd, put the files back & then use the sd in the new phone.

If you can get the Bionic into recovery, a factory reset may fix it.

OP
N

nooter99

Reaction score
If you have an sd card reader, you could transfer your files to a computer. Then put them on the new phone. Or, transfer the files, wipe the sd, put the files back & then use the sd in the new phone.

If you can get the Bionic into recovery, a factory reset may fix it.

Yeah, I was able to get to recovery mode. I tried factory reset, and every other option that was available, with no success. I like your idea of a card reader, might go that route.
But is it even possible that the SD card is what caused the problem in the first place? My guess would be no, but like I said before, I'm pretty much illiterate when it comes to these things.
If I transfer all the files to a computer, then onto new card, would it be possible that I could be transferring the original problem onto the new card and thereby screwing myself?
Sorry for all the stupid questions, just a little apprehensive about potentially bricking new phone.

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
Highly unlikely the SD card had anything to do with it. Most likely a corrupt system file or physical hardware issues.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
What go cliff said.

The chances of it being the SD card are highly unlikely. If you are really concerned with the SD card you can transfer the files you want to you're PC and then format the sd card. Give it a clean slate for your new phone

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD