need unroot for updates

pegasus300

Reaction score
i rooted my bionic .902 with the motofail and have had no problems with it. but now there is an update for my phone, plus i just read that another is coming out, both just to fix problems with the 4g LTE, also read that 4.0 ICS update will be coming out eventually. cant update with rooted phone, cant find way to unroot after using motofail. tried petes root tools, didnt work. read that some ppl say there is an unroot method in the motofail zip file but i dont see it. i was going to try the sticky on the bionic forum 'how to get updates on your modified droid bionic' but im thinking it might not do it like the petes root tools wouldnt unroot it. any suggestions please

OP
P

pegasus300

Reaction score
nvm on the sticky, all links open a page that say there was an error...

jayman350

Reaction score
I was able to update to 905 and keep root by using an app called Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper (I had previously done the forever root method as well). You install the app from the Play Store, run it, select "Protect Root", then you can select "Temp un-root". Once you have temporarily unrooted you can boot into stock recovery, flash the update. Once you are done with the update, go back into the rootkeeper app and select "restore Root" and you should be good to go.

I use this app all the time on my Kindle Fire b/c you can't watch streaming video from Amazon if you are rooted, this is the perfect workaround.

OP
P

pegasus300

Reaction score
i installed ota rootkeeper from play store. i dont see the 'temp un-root' option. there is 'protect root', backup root, restore root, delete su backup. even if i press menu button only option is refresh status. i pressed protect root but only a message pops up, 'su root protected' something like that. am i missing something? thanks for the help though.

dags5000

Reaction score
you can always update with root. You might lose root upon updating but there is no need to unroot prior to updating. If u loaded a custom rom or removed stock stuff u should revert those and you will be fine. I lost root but ran motofail again and all is good

jayman350

Reaction score
i installed ota rootkeeper from play store. i dont see the 'temp un-root' option. there is 'protect root', backup root, restore root, delete su backup. even if i press menu button only option is refresh status. i pressed protect root but only a message pops up, 'su root protected' something like that. am i missing something? thanks for the help though.

after selecting "protect root" it should then give you two different options "Delete Su backup" and "Temp. un-root (keeps backup)" I have attached some screenshots to hopefully help describe what I see.View attachment 51140View attachment 51141View attachment 51142

OP
P

pegasus300

Reaction score
Thanks ! Took a little bit but i figured out the rootkeeper. You guys were a big help