Need to upgrade - Can't decide

spydergirl

Reaction score
Currently have the G Note 2, which I've loved, but has burned out and become obsolete. Now I can't decide between -

G Note 5

Droid Turbo

I absolutely LOVE the camera on my husband's Turbo. The camera on my GN2 is beyond horrible. The GN5 seems to be improved, but still lacking.

My other drawback is the non-removable battery and SD card, which is a feature on both phones. Is this the wave of the future of phones? I like to be able to swap out batteries and use after-market extended batteries and accessories.

I need to upgrade soon because I depend on my phone for work, but just can't decide. :-(

Any suggestions, advice, or thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my GN2

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
My choice between the 2 would be the Note 5. But considering other devices I'd go with the Note 4. Had mine since February which is the longest I've held onto one device in 8 years

Note 4tified

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
I'm not familiar with the camera features on the Turbo but on the N5 they are excellent. Better than any phone I've ever had. I live that I can double press on the home button and have immediate access to my camera even when the screen is off. I love the burst shot feature. I can hold the volume button and it will take numerous consecutive shots. Then I pick out the best one. The picture quality is excellent. Here is an example of burst shots of my granddaughter going under water.
ab10b98fda9052c69647b603084d48b7.jpg
952a56f20b3ed3bf7ace00460a0df733.jpg
465a8868e9905ee2d73a8df7750d43bd.jpg
038b678e3c26a15f56c34894423fa0b1.jpg
777b01b22fba19dcd05842dac3a6c334.jpg

That are pics chosen out of 17 burst shots.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I am not a photo expert, but I think my Turbo takes pretty good pictures, much better than people give it credit for. As far as batteries, you should not need a replaceable battery with the Turbo. You should easily be able to get through a full day and into the second day with a single charge; and the Turbo charge feature works good if you do need to top off in between full charges.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Reactions: cr6

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
By all the reviews I've read, they've said the N5 has one of the best cameras on the market. I know Moto isn't well known for their cameras, it's one of their weaknesses as a company, but I have heard some great improvements in other devices, not the Turbo though. That being said, I think any of the top tier phones today take awesome photos and unless you have an eye for it, then I don't think the differences between top tier cameras today are very significant.

As for removable battery and SD card support, some companies still do support it, but they really are becoming obsolete features. Samsung was pretty much the last one standing for removable battery and they did away with it (I think LG may be the last one). Same with microSD support, what was once a major plus for Samsung, they've gone and abandoned it and I believe there rest of the industry will follow.

Software optimization has been significantly improved since the days of the Note 2, and I believe you'll notice that, which is why non-removable batteries shouldn't be too big of a deal unless you're a "power user". You could use various sized powerbanks and that will definitely get you through the day. Also quick charging seems to be the new thing and I honestly wouldn't mind it once I decide to upgrade.

Gramesmith

Reaction score
My Vote is for Note 5. One of my friends is using Note 5. He told me that the performance of Note 5 is really good. Personally, I really like the style of Note 5.

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
If you're stuck between those two, do yourself a favor and pickup the note 5. Not only is it superior, a lot of support has seemed to have faded regarding the turbo.

Sent from my Note 4

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Note 5, hands down. Samsung is known for their camera and screen quality. In the past, Motorola was known for their radios, not for their camera. I can EASILY print an 8x10 or larger from a Samsung and you'd never guess it was taken with a phone instead of a dslr. In fact, I did it numerous times with my S5 and Note 4! People focus on the megapixels of a camera when that is just a small piece of the puzzle to a great image. The lens and sensor of the camera make the biggest impact. Don't get me wrong, the Turbo is definitely improved in camera, but it is still lacking.

Here is a shot I took with my S5 and printed in 8x10
3d27dccbea036b758e03fc228145cea5.jpg

Sent from my Verizon G4

OP
spydergirl

spydergirl

Reaction score
Wow! Great picture!

Thank you all so much for taking the time to share your feedback and suggestions. It's been extremely helpful .... especially regarding the extended battery options. I'm feeling more hopeful.

I think my lean now is definitely toward the GN5 and I'll certainly keep you posted on my progress.

Thank you !!!!!

Sent from my GN2