Which phone?

kevins686

Reaction score
So I'm thinking of selling my 3-month-old Droid Turbo and getting a new phone. I think I've got it narrowed down to either the Droid Turbo 2 or the Galaxy 6 edge+. At the moment, I'm leaning, albeit slightly, toward the Samsung.

I love the battery life on my Droid Turbo, and I know it would be just as good, or maybe even better, on the Droid Turbo 2. But I know the Galaxy 6 edge+ is regarded as having good, if not stellar, battery life. I'm also in love with the Samsung's design, particularly that gorgeous display. And it's also said to have the best camera of any phone on the market. Still, I love the brutalist, military-issue styling of Motorola's Droids. And with what I imagine to be the less robust construction of the Samsung, I'm sure that much of that phone's aesthetics would be swallowed up by whatever case I decided to put on it.

The shatterproof display of the Turbo 2 is appealing, though phone droppage has never really been an issue with me. And I've heard that whatever material is used to make the screen shatterproof is also prone to scratching and that it's dimmer than competing phones.

Advice, ideas, suggestions, and personal experiences are appreciated!

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
IMO, you can't go wrong with either phone. You may want to consider the Nexus 6P as well.
I would probably go for the Nexus as I prefer Android without the carrier bloat and a device that can be modified/rooted.

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
IMO, you can't go wrong with either phone. You may want to consider the Nexus 6P as well.
I would probably go for the Nexus as I prefer Android without the carrier bloat and a device that can be modified/rooted.
^ This.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
I know that Turbo is a beast but damn that phone is ugly IMO.. Haha sorry Turbo peeps.. If you want battery then yes Turbo.. And not worry about drops..
I love love my S6e+ it's the sexiest phone out BUT you won't be able to keep it without a case something to think about.. It's a thing of beauty.. Battery is very good for my usage.. And great point above on 6P

S6E+ tapatalk

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I know that Turbo is a beast but damn that phone is ugly IMO.. Haha sorry Turbo peeps.. If you want battery then yes Turbo.. And not worry about drops..
I love love my S6e+ it's the sexiest phone out BUT you won't be able to keep it without a case something to think about.. It's a thing of beauty.. Battery is very good for my usage.. And great point above on 6P

S6E+ tapatalk
Hey now, that's not nice. Just kidding, they are both very nice phones in my opinion, as are the new Nexus phones already mentioned. I held an S6 Edge + in a store and am not crazy about it personally. I can see how it would appeal to many people. It did feel like its a little slippery, may definitely need a case. As said on here many times, we can recommend phones all day long and everyone that posts has their own personal preference. The main thing is that you find a phone that you like and has what you want. Go to a store and check each one out, several times maybe. Good luck.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
Hey now, that's not nice. Just kidding, they are both very nice phones in my opinion, as are the new Nexus phones already mentioned. I held an S6 Edge + in a store and am not crazy about it personally. I can see how it would appeal to many people. It did feel like its a little slippery, may definitely need a case. As said on here many times, we can recommend phones all day long and everyone that posts has their own personal preference. The main thing is that you find a phone that you like and has what you want. Go to a store and check each one out, several times maybe. Good luck.

Amen to that! You really need to play with a phone.. I'd like to rephrase my ugly comment.. It's really the everything that's happening on the front of the Turbo .. Too much happening with logo and all.. I'd get black front only advise I would give.. Haha

S6E+ tapatalk

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
The t2 is good for naked use and you get to use the moto site to design your own color scheme and materials..and if you get the 64 gig you get a refresh on those colors for free..also the free screen...I haven't used a screen on my t1..but..I don't drop it..

The edge plus..doesn't have a lot of edge capabilities, Compared to the note edge..but its a solid phone..short in the battery life dept according to my coworkers ...but to have to put your hands on em..and decide what's right for you..with moto you can also check out the pure..cheaper than the turbo..and I believe a lot of similar specs..I'll have to brush up on my research..I've been slacking lately...

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Also, it's still a great camera, but the S6 edge actually has the second-best rated camera in a phone currently. The ranking is on the right side of this page DxOMark Mobile | DxOMark.

Nothing to scoff at. Like others have said though, you've really gotta make the final decision yourself. Since you're talking the Edge+ and not the Edge, keep in mind the size difference there'll be between that and your current Turbo. I personally love these larger phones, but they're not for everyone. As has already been mentioned, get into a store somewhere and get some hands on time with each.

Serene

Reaction score
Oh well, the Nexus 6P is a great phone but S6 Edge+ is sexy

OP
kevins686

kevins686

Reaction score
Let me ask this: if I do get a new phone, regardless of which I choose, should I take the $200 Verizon is offering for the trade, of should I sell my phone on eBay? My phone is a 3-month-old Droid Turbo in perfect condition, so I'm assuming it would command either the full $200 from Verizon or a good price if I sold it.

Suggestions?

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I'd sell it on my own. Looks like the best anyone has gotten for one on Swappa lately is $295. Even if you end up on the low end, you can still make a little more than $200.

Buy a Motorola DROID Turbo (Verizon) starting at $209 on Swappa If you scroll down the list, you'll see a Recently Sold section, so you can see what they've actually sold for.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Just if you do sell...its the holidays..officially.. If you sell on craigslist..meet the person inside if a vzw retailer..make the sale there...or sell it on Swappa..the reason I say this is that people will do stupid stuff to people over a few hundred bucks...stay safe...good luck with your choice.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Enjoy the new phone & good luck on the sale.