Need some help.

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
So I rooted my girl's inc2 about 3 weeks ago. All went fine with the unrevoked rooting process and she was happy with what I had done. Today, not so much...

She woke up after charging it all night only to see that her phone was stuck in stock recovery. It would only boot into stock recovery after a battery pull. I booted into hboot, booted into clockwork, and then tried booting into the os. It actually loaded and I thought all was well, until it automatically powered off after 1 minute in the OS and sent the phone right to stock recovery again.

Luckily for her (and me), I had a nandroid and just nandroid restored her. Her phone is now working, but I come to you guys for help anyway.

Was there a silent update last night for the inc2? It seemed that it would begin downloading something in the stock recovery and then just stop immediately and be stuck there.

Any insight on why this happened or advice on how I could/should have handled this differently is appreciated.

Sent from my CushZero using DroidForums

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yes she prolly got the recent OTA update pushed to her phone automatically, if on a Sense Rom or Stock Rooted. You should probably block the OTA so it doesn't happen again.

In root explorer mount as r/w (read write)

go to etc/security and rename otacerts.zip to otacerts.bak

Mount back to r/o (read only) when done

There may be further ways to block the OTA, but thats all I did.

Also you may want to have a copy of a system backup saved to a computer too.

OP
syndicate0017

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
I figured that's probably what it was. Thanks for the confirmation and for the how to.

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
No problem. I am not 100% sure if it was an auto OTA update that caused the problem. But if its booting into stock recovery and since there is a recent OTA going out thats probably what it is. Keep an eye on it, if it does it again it could be a number of things.

OP
syndicate0017

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
It would definitely would make sense though. I did freeze some of her bloatware so the OTA wouldn't be able to take. When she gets off work, I'll apply this fix and let you know how it goes.

Thanks again

OP
syndicate0017

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well she didn't want to pay for root explorer so I downloaded yaffs explorer and did it through there, albeit, it was a tad more difficult. Hopefully this will keep her phone in working order.

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yea I think it will be ok now. Post back if there are anymore issues and I will see If I can help.