Need Some Handholding (Deathly Afraid of Brickage)

D_meist

Reaction score
So I want to install the new rubiX Focused 1.9.5

Here's some quick info on my phone:

Droid X
System Version: 2.3.15.MB810
Android Version 2.2.1
Rooted
Rubix Focused 1.9.0 installed with Sephtin's Black Bar Mod

In reading Drod2169's instructions I need my system version to be 2.3.340 OTA. In my research I've discovered that the best way to get my handset to 2.3.340 OTA would be to perform an sbf using maderschramm's guide, get back to stock 2.3.15, then get to 2.3.340 via OTA. Then re-root and apply the rubiX Focused 1.9.5 zip.

Are these the steps or can I forgo sbf'ing?

-D

Dodongo X

Reaction score
What version is your bootloader? The sbf you need to use should depend on that. Before going to the .340 OTA I had never done any OTA updates and needed to sbf back to 2.1. Here's what I did:

1.) Use RSD Lite (I used 4.9) and sbf your phone appropriately.
2.) Do minimal setup (wifi) and download and apply the .340 OTA.
3.) Root with z4root.
4.) Install Droid X Bootstrapper.
5.) Copy the ROM to your SD card (if you haven't).
6.) Bootstrap recovery then Reboot recovery with Droid X Bootstrapper.
7.) Make a nandroid backup.
8.) Wipe data and cache.
9.) Install zip from SD card.

OP
D

D_meist

Reaction score
My bootloader version is 30.04. I followed this guide and I'm pretty sure I got the correct .sbf file. The file name is VRZ_MB810_2.3.32_1FF_01.sbf

I downloaded it from here. I think it's the right one.

-D

rfranken

Reaction score
why does he need to sbf? is it because no stock backup was made with bootstrapper?

Juicemane

Bang Bang
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
why does he need to sbf? is it because no stock backup was made with bootstrapper?

Yes. Without having a stock backup, you cannot get the OTA. He needs to SBF to get the OTA update, then root, bootstrap, and install Focused 1.9.5

Mines_01

Reaction score
Did one yesterday with an identical setup, and didnt use SBF as means of updating. did data wipe, then applied the TBH update (lol). Then took .320 to .340 with the TBH individual update files. he is now on .340 with 30.04 bootloader. total went from .15 to .340 without an sbf being involved. Not being an @$$ just the method i used on my cousins X.

forgot, also added 1.9.5 after aquiring .340

Last edited:

Juicemane

Bang Bang
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Did one yesterday with an identical setup, and didnt use SBF as means of updating. did data wipe, then applied the TBH update (lol). Then took .320 to .340 with the TBH individual update files. he is now on .340 with 30.04 bootloader. total went from .15 to .340 without an sbf being involved. Not being an @$$ just the method i used on my cousins X.

If I remember correctly doing the TBH update leaves you on the leak kernel not the OTA kernel... or did they find a real fix for that?

Mines_01

Reaction score

If I remember correctly doing the TBH update leaves you on the leak kernel not the OTA kernel... or did they find a real fix for that?

it updated the kernel too. they have individual files that update the bootloader, baseband, kernel and the system from .320 to .340. idk how considering the encrypted bootloader, not questioning either, but it shows properly in all of the mentioned areas.

jsw6380a

Reaction score

Yes. Without having a stock backup, you cannot get the OTA. He needs to SBF to get the OTA update, then root, bootstrap, and install Focused 1.9.5

I have a stock nandroid with JUST root of OTA version .340. If an update comes out OTA can I flash back to this unroot update and re-root? Or is this asking for a paperweight?? :icon_eek:

teh_g

Reaction score
I have a stock nandroid with JUST root of OTA version .340. If an update comes out OTA can I flash back to this unroot update and re-root? Or is this asking for a paperweight?? :icon_eek:

You don't need to unroot it, the update is kind enough to do it for you!

OP
D

D_meist

Reaction score
So...ok. I have a new question after reading the replies. I was assuming that doing an OTA update on any phone that had been tampered with, i.e. rooted, would brick your phone. But if I'm hearing you guys correctly, I can restore the backup that I made after rooting, which would return my phone to a stock Droid X (with the exception of it being rooted and Koush's bootstrapper installed...otherwise how would I have made the backup in the first place). From that semi-stock point, I can take .340 update OTA, right?

If that's the case, and you can update OTA from a rooted state, why shouldn't or couldn't I update OTA while I'm running rubiX 1.9.0 as opposed to a semi stock Droid X? Is it because the rom has changed so many fundamental controls of the phone and therefore doing an update of that type will cause problems/brickage?

-D

teh_g

Reaction score
So...ok. I have a new question after reading the replies. I was assuming that doing an OTA update on any phone that had been tampered with, i.e. rooted, would brick your phone. But if I'm hearing you guys correctly, I can restore the backup that I made after rooting, which would return my phone to a stock Droid X (with the exception of it being rooted and Koush's bootstrapper installed...otherwise how would I have made the backup in the first place). From that semi-stock point, I can take .340 update OTA, right?

If that's the case, and you can update OTA from a rooted state, why shouldn't or couldn't I update OTA while I'm running rubiX 1.9.0 as opposed to a semi stock Droid X? Is it because the rom has changed so many fundamental controls of the phone and therefore doing an update of that type will cause problems/brickage?

-D

The update installer checks the /system directory and does a check to make sure that the /system directory is "correct" (all the stock apps are there and unmodified, etc). Rooting does not cause that check to fail, but a ROM basically changes the entire system directory.

Basically, the OTA won't run and the stock update.zip will fail if you try to install that on a ROM.

OP
D

D_meist

Reaction score
Brilliant. Thanks everyone. dancedroid

-D